Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

wiring capacitors

Old 02-16-2003, 03:24 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring capacitors

i've already searched but didnt really find exactly what i want....but anyway.....i want to wire two capacitors for one amp, so would i take the + from the battery, connect it to the + on cap A, then go from + on cap A to the + on cap B then connect to the + on the amp......or would i go +A to -B to +amp.....

Battery+ to capA+ to capB+ to amp+

Battery+ to capA+ to capB- to amp+

which one, or are they both wrong....help me help me

and i need them both, so i just want to know how to do it...

i already had a .5 Farad and bought a 1 Farad, and i have 1200watts....so.....i assume it's okay to wire a .5 and a 1 together
Old 02-16-2003, 03:55 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I do beleive that is correct... all pos+ together. I remember crutchfield had a bar thing that would hook 2 - 4 caps together and all the pos+ would be common and all the neg- would also have a common link. I think.... if I find more/better/accurate info... I'll be sure to post it.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:59 PM
ShAg9yBrDr

what wires do you need to connect the cap to the amp and the battery? i need to do this soon.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:11 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Originally posted by ShAg9yBrDr
what wires do you need to connect the cap to the amp and the battery? i need to do this soon.
just hook it up inline between the battery and the amp

BATTERY---------------(+)capacitor------------(+)amp
GROUND---------------(-)capacitor
just use the same grounding point as the amp, but a different wire...i think that is recommended....
Old 02-16-2003, 05:41 PM
ShAg9yBrDr

so do i just need to cut part of my power wire and ground wire for this? i got a wiring kit with my stuff and i just wana know if i need to buy something else.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:44 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

as long as u have enough length on it, should work fine...thats what i did....i still have an extra 5 ft...just get the cap as close to the amp as possible...i mounted mine side by side, and that is supposed to work the best.....i just have a 3 inch piece between the cap and amp.....the ground should be as short as possible, but a couple feet or so wouldnt hurt i dont think..my ground is 3 ft but just make sure it's grounded to the same spot as the amp...i gotta hook up my other cap now....maybe nothing will get fried
Old 02-16-2003, 06:11 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

RULES OF ELECTRONICS:

Resistors in series increase resistance.

Capacitors in parallel increase capacitance.

To properly wire a cap, wire it in parallel to the amp, meaning all the positives are tied together, and the cap and the amp are grounded to the same spot on the frame.
Old 02-16-2003, 06:13 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

Originally posted by fastball
RULES OF ELECTRONICS:

Resistors in series increase resistance.

Capacitors in parallel increase capacitance.

To properly wire a cap, wire it in parallel to the amp, meaning all the positives are tied together, and the cap and the amp are grounded to the same spot on the frame.
so you are saying that you DO wire more than one cap in parallel...just double checking....i figured you did, but i'm not into blowing things up to learn right from wrong....
Old 02-16-2003, 06:22 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Originally posted by fizzbob7
so you are saying that you DO wire more than one cap in parallel...just double checking....i figured you did, but i'm not into blowing things up to learn right from wrong....
Yep. You got it. You can wire a hundred caps in parallel if you want to. Just, uh, make sure your amp can handle 500 volts, and your car can produce it!
Old 02-16-2003, 06:26 PM
fizzbob7
90 accord h22a

seriously about the voltage thing.....stock charging system on my accord, but a .5 farad and a 1 farad together shouldnt hurt anything as far as that goes, would it?....