Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp Fuse Question

Old 02-13-2003, 07:10 PM
97CivicSI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Fuse Question

I already have a Lightning audio S 200 amp installed now (i know it sucks) but i might buy a Rockford amp from my friend so im going to test it , but in the box with the amp there is a Fuse holder, now if i already have an amp installed and using it should there already be a fuseholder installed? , i know nothing about this at all , so any help would be great.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:48 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

There should be a fuse within a foot of the battery, on that power lead. Most manufacturers have a built in fuse in their amps, just in case the amp goes into "OH SHYT" mode, its there to protect the amp a little. Rockford amps do not have this fuse built in, so you have to add one within 6" of the amp... the fuse they provide will be sufficent amperage... if you want to upgrade to a better fuse (Maxi, AGU) you can, just keep the amperage the same.

The S200... whats the power output for this amp? 50 x 2 RMS? Do you have 10 or 8 gauge power cable run? Do you know? If you dont know, a quick look at the cable can tell... the gague is normally listed on the wire. What Rockford amp will you be upgrading to? If its signifigantly larger (power output wise) than the lightning audio, you'll need to upgrade the power and ground leads most likely, Rockford amps tend to be power hungry.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:30 PM
97CivicSI

I Have 8 guage power wire running right now and the ground wire is the exact same kind of wire , The amps are pretty much the same size wise it is the Rockford 150s , so im not really upgrading but i find the LA amp to be a bit shaky i think it is way overated than what the specs acutally show because it shows that it can do 60w per chan at 4 ohms and the Rockford is showing 37.5w per chan at 4 ohms , But i looked under the hood and near the power cable going to the amp and there is no fuse , so im not even going to attempt to put it in.