Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

radio fuse keeps blowing

Old 02-12-2003, 06:57 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio fuse keeps blowing

I wired up my new Aiwa to a Honda wiring harness, all the wires are perfect, soldered, and electrical taped - everything is kosher.

But when I plugged the honda harness into my car's harness, not only does the radio NOT power on, but 1) the radio fuse blows in the underdash fusebox and 2) my gauge lights and clock are both out and won't come back on even if the deck is unattached. By gauge lights I mean lights that illuminate the gauge - it's stock, no indiglo or anything. The fusebox diagram doesn't list a separate clock fuse or gauge light fuse... and I only had two 15 fuses, both of which blew. I'll get more tomorrow - but until then, any ideas?? I'm really frustrating and pissed off...

Big thanks to any who can help me out.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:02 PM
ShAg9yBrDr

the clock fuse is blown. or at least thats what my problem was when i got my HU installed. just get the bulb from the dealer. i know it doesnt make sense that the bulb blew but thats what happened.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:10 AM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Update:

New fuse in without radio, gauges (and of course clock) are still out. I put in the old stock radio - the "code" message comes right up, fuse doesn't blow - but there is no clock, either, like there should be with a deck in!

So: the new deck is definitely wired funny, I guess it's the constant power wire (red?) since the fuse only blows with the new deck in and the car on.

Here's my question, to ShAg9yBrDr and others: will blowing the clock bulb out cause the cluster lights to go out too? Is there a fuse that handles both of these? Will I have to replace the cluster bulbs as well? Thanks to any who know and can help...
Old 02-13-2003, 08:25 AM
MikesCommuter
As the ACCORD TURNS!

Check ALL the fuses under the dash/hood to make sure they are all good to go.

BTW. The RED wire is normally the Ignition Wire and the YELLOW wire is usually the Constant Wire if I am not mistaken...You might have a Defective Wiring Harness thats causing a short somewhere.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 02-13-2003, 10:23 AM
ShAg9yBrDr

im not really sure about the gauges, when my HU was installed the only thing that blew out was the bulb. its no more then $3 for the clock bulb so it cant hurt to get it from the dealer and give it a shot.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:25 AM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

another update: I installed the old radio after getting the security code - while it does work, everything I turn the car off and then back on, it reads "code" again - something is amiss with the battery power? I called my garage, and they thought the cluster lights and clock being out no matter whether a stereo was in or not indicated a short somewhere in the system... anyone have any guess which system this is, and how to repair it? Thanks
Old 02-13-2003, 09:19 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

update: I replaced the "back up" fuse under the hood, and now the clock and radio are back online, but the gauge lights are still out. Is this also a fuse? I'm going out to check now (2 am), but I'm wondering if it's not a fuse, the gauge bulbs just blew out during a short?
I'm just so glad the radio works!!!!!
Thanks to all who posted so far, and are still posting.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:48 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

SOLVED!!!!

After replacing the back-up fuse, which restored the radio and clock ... I checked the underdash fusebox more carefully, and found what I was looking for... an "instrument" fuse which had blown. I replaced that, and BAM, everything works!!

Doesn't it feel great when you fix something yourself?