Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Nav question on '03 Accord

Old 01-18-2003, 11:40 AM
ldye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav question on '03 Accord

Test drove sales mgr car and he has tinted the windows. He mentioned that it has caused the navigation system to be off. Said the antenna is located under the rear shelf and the tint is causing this. Does anyone know if in fact window tint could cause a problem. I want nav but I also want to tint my windows.
Old 01-18-2003, 06:49 PM
Bass Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an acura TL with Navi
i also heard this about the window tint when i got my car.
i have 15% tint all the way around and have observed absolutly no problems with my navi or its accuracy. i would however advise you not get reflective metallic tint (mirror tint) mine is a metalized film but still smoke black if you get dyed film it will turn purple in about a year.
get a metalized film so it will last. also make sure you use a reputable installer. there is a GEL type stuff they can use around the top of the rear glass where the small black "dot's" are. if they dont use the gel or have not heard about it go elsewhere. when they use the gel there will be none of the silvery look to the top part of the glass around the dots. it will be black like the rest of the window.
i have seen people install XM radio antennas under the trunklid of an S2k i dont know if he had reception problems with it but i assume he would have reported problems if there were any.
i dont know how badly the signal is affected by metal between the antenna and the satelite but from what my personal experience is with sat antennas film is not a problem.

FYI do not get an Accord without NAVI i wouldn't trade mine for anything! i dont use it a lot but when i need it it's right there at my fingers. i use it for just a map when i need one. sometmes i use it to find a phone number rather than call 411. i even use it to drive in dense fog so i can anticipate a turn. it is accurate to about 5-8 feet best i can tell. not only that is looks cool and gets a lot of questions.
Good luck