Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Security code - don't have it

Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM
DelSolSIinMD
Le Grand Illusion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security code - don't have it

I bought my 94 Del Sol in August, and it came with absolutely no paperwork - and that includes the security code for the stock radio.
After my battery died three days ago (left lights on), I got the infamous "code" reading, and since I'm short on money, I can't just go out and get another HU.
I called the shop that recently replaced the battery, but they said they had some special device that kept power to the radio for just this reason... they didn't know it, and they said that the only way to get the code without the paper was the pull the radio, get the serial number off the back, and call the dealer. They also said the dealer around here normally charges.
My question: is there any other way to get the security code? Could I use the car's VIN and call a more user-friendly dealership? Is the number located anywhere besides the damned slip of paper which didn't come with the car? Thanks to all... these hour-long silent solo rides are terrible... I can only sing to myself for so long.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:51 PM
b00gers

you can try the VIN, find out which dealer it was bought from, they are the only ones that can pull it from your VIN, otherwise, take the deck out and give a call.

when honda charges, its the labor for taking the deck out. we all know what a bish it is to do so.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:38 AM
Nikon44

Go to your local honda dealer and give them proof of ownership, if I am not mistaken you will have to have your Serial Number off the back off the deck and your local dealer will contact honda and get the code.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:22 PM
H-Accord-22
Duh

go to an Auto repair shop that you know, ask them to call Honda for the code, they will ask for the serial number of the unit, RARELY VIN. free of charge