Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Question concerning ebay...

Old 06-17-2002, 10:30 PM
muz4k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question concerning ebay...

Can items being sold on ebay be trusted to be good quality and good condition? I often see things that retail for like 500 dollars, being sold 2 for 1 (ie subs)

I am skeptical about buying some of my stuff from ebay for fear that i will get shipped a torn speaker or something...
Old 06-18-2002, 07:04 AM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Make sure there are pics of what they are selling. Ask as many questions as you need to, in order for YOU to feel good about it. Only buy from sellers who have good feedback. Nothing from ebay will have a warranty, so only buy things you know that are quality built in the first place. I've bought all my Alpine decks on ebay and have not had any problems with them. I've also bought some Kicker subs from there. Ebay is a pretty good place to piece out a system on a budget....
Old 06-18-2002, 07:37 AM
b00gers

yea just be sure the seller has A LOT of good feedback. most of the sellers on ebay selling car audio stuff have a little warehouse full and they usually have a phone number.

just call and ask questions, the way to act over the phone can often reflect how they do business.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:20 AM
tonysaccord

MAKE SURE THE SELLER HA GOOD FEEDBACK,ASK QUESTIONS ABOUTANYTHINGU FEEL UNCERTAIN ABOUT, ASK FOR INFO ON PRODUCT TO ME SURE THE PRODUCT THEY SELL IS THE REAL DEAL. LIKE THE SPEC AND COMPARE WITH SIT LIKE CRUTHFIELD OR LIKE. I BOUGHT MY INTERIOR SPEAKERS FROM SELLER, NO PROBLEMS AND CAME IN GOOD CONDICTION NEW IN PACKAGE AS IT WAS DESCRIBTED
Old 06-18-2002, 08:48 PM
arch iceman

There arent many high end manufacturers that authorize thier products to be sold online. There are a few exceptions made for high volume dealers, but they are only a handful such as crutchfield or sounddomain.

Most products sold on Ebay will not carry the full manufacturer warranty. What do you get with a manufacturer warranty? If it breaks they immediately replace it with another new unit.

Ebay warranty means you send it in and wait for repairs, then it is shipped back to you. The warranty is either offerred by the seller for a limited time 90 days is typical. If its a manufacturer warranty most Ebay sellers let you resolve any issues you have with the manufacturer directly, instead of the seller. Manufacturer warranty personel are very skeptical if you tell them you bought it off Ebay and it broke.

Some manufacturers state in their warranty policy that they will only warranty it if purchased from an authorized dealer with proof of purchase. Also if purchased from an authorized dealer and installed by them you get a full warranty sometimes up to 3 years, if installed on your own its only 1 year.

Its hard to distinguish between refurbished and new stock. Some products are factory refurbished and refinished in a new case, most people would never know.

There are also counterfiet products out there now from Taiwan. I wrote a long article here over a year ago about this new trend. Fake Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, MB Quart, Dynaudio, Precision Power, Phoenix Gold were some of the fake products I got to inspect. You cant tell without opening it and looking at the internal parts. Even the factory packaging is official.

Just be careful when buying from Ebay. Im sure there are some good sellers and good products out there. Definitely bargains, but I always remind my customers of the security of purchasing from an authorized dealer.