Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

good amp to power internal speaker?

Old 01-07-2003, 07:27 PM
iDs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good amp to power internal speaker?

so far i got my girl a pioneer 840mp deck and kappa 60.5cs components for the front...i'm plainning to get her a set of kappa 63.5 3way speaker for the back for her del sol

kappa 60.5cs = 2-90rms / 270 peak
kappa 63.5 = 2-75rms / 225 peak

pioneer 840mp = 22rms / 50 peak

the speaker is underpower.. and it could sound alot better with an amp..But what amp should i get??? and i really want to power the back speaker with the amp too...my budget is like under 200 for the amp..

US acoustics USB-4085 85W x 4 $180 (would 85rms be too much for the rear?)

US acoustics USB-4065 65W x 4 $130

Alpine MRP-F200 40W x 4 $155 (not sure i kinda want atleast 75rms)

JBL P80.4 40W x 4 $145

Audiobahn A4401Q 50W x 4 $180

Pioneer GM-X564 50W x 4 $165

I also might be adding another amp and 12" sub which probably be kappa perfect 12 dvc / 350rms with a JBL BP300.1 / 300rms @ 2ohm (would that amp be enough power for the sub if i parallel wired it to create 2ohm) sorry i'm still a newbie at this stuff..i started when i decided to get a hu as a xmas present for my girl.. so now im hooked to make her system sound good =)
Old 01-08-2003, 08:14 AM
iDs

???no suggestions???
Old 01-08-2003, 08:33 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

The US Acoustics will give you the best "bang for your buck". They are actually really good amps, just overlooked. The alpine is a nice choice too... but both the US Acoustics amps will give you more power... and no, the 85x4 is not too much.

Ive never heard of a DVC Kappa Perfect. They only come in single voice coil design. You may want to find a JBL BP600.1 to power it... those subs are very power hungry... and they can take a TON of power... so dont be afraid to go with something bigger if you can find it... maybe a US Acoustics USX or USB-2150... just to match the other amp.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:48 AM
iDs

sorry the correct name is Kappa Perfect 12.1d and that one is a dual voice...

so the us accoustics 4085 is a good choice for my internal speaker?!?! because crutchfield have it for 180 plus 10 shipping, but i could order 20 dollar more stuff and get 20 off from the referal a friend thing.

but im still open for suggestions...im really new to this and i dont know whats really good out there...trying to find the best bang for the buck out there...thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 09:51 AM
rcurley55

For a del sol, there is no need for rear speakers....get the components and put them in the door. Get what ever sub willl allow you a 4 ohm mono load (I don't know if that will be the dual or svc model - I'm not familiar with the Kappa line)

Then get just the USX 4085. Run channels 1 and 2 stereo to the components, then bridge channels 3 and 4 to the subwoofer. Voila, you have a nice system that anyone should be happy with, and I saved you the price of a second amp and the kappa 6x9's....see what a nice guy I am
Old 01-08-2003, 10:32 AM
iDs

rcurley55...i was thinking about goin that direction..but my girl want to get more fuller/cleaner/detailed sound(she more into clean/clear vocals, so she notice the back is missing some of the high & mids feq.) so im going to update the rear speakers too

the sub is really for me since i want some thumps when im in her car or driving it...so a sub and another amp is a must!

another question.. im getting internal amp first so i know i need an 8 gauge kit..but since im going to get another amp probably sometime in the summer, should i get a 4gauge now instead of the 8 gauge??? and what amp kit is good? lightning audio? RF? streetwires???
Old 01-08-2003, 01:02 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by iDs
rcurley55...i was thinking about goin that direction..but my girl want to get more fuller/cleaner/detailed sound(she more into clean/clear vocals, so she notice the back is missing some of the high & mids feq.) so im going to update the rear speakers too

the sub is really for me since i want some thumps when im in her car or driving it...so a sub and another amp is a must!

It's up to you how you think it will sound best. I would suggest you try it that way first...then, if you want to upgrade...do it. This is just how I like my sound to be. I think that you will find with 85W on those components you will have all the sound you need. If you find that you need more, get the sub amp, add the second pair of speakers and you are good to go.

Do what you like, but if you try it that way, you have a simple upgrade path...that's why I always recommend that style system. Regardless, do what you like!!

another question.. im getting internal amp first so i know i need an 8 gauge kit..but since im going to get another amp probably sometime in the summer, should i get a 4gauge now instead of the 8 gauge??? and what amp kit is good? lightning audio? RF? streetwires???
Don't waste your time with the 8 ga...go for 4 ga. Basically, all kits are the same. There are some exceptions to this generalization, but generally speaking it's true.

The only real differenced are the coatings on the connectors and the colors on the wires...all in all...not a big difference. You won't find much if any of the propriatary technology in kits. The most economical set is going to come from Knukonceptz ( http://www.knuknoceptz.com ). I have had great luck in the past with Stinger and Lightning Audio products. Again it's all relative.

I was in a similar position, bought the 4 channel, ran components and the sub, and never went any further with the system, I was pretty satisfied at that point, so I had bought a 4 ga kit for two amps.