Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

firewall

Old 01-03-2003, 05:24 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default firewall

Putting in some aux lights on the front of my Prelude. We got the inside wiring done. Just the mounting of the lights and the engine compartment wiring left to do tonight... don't read any more of this... just jump to the last line. The rest is just rambling.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We were trying to find a decent spot to just push the wires through for the switch inside. We couldn't find one, so we made one. I think we used a 3/8" bit to drill it. Was fine.

We put the hole just down and to the right (if looking from the engine bay) of what appears to be a drain pipe.... for the heater? Maybe the A/C... I don't know. It's on the passenger side and it's black and probably about 1/2" dia. Anyway, that's going well, but I'm planning on running some 4awg wire for some amp's a little down the road. Would it be better to just drill another hole or is there a better spot to come through?

I was upside down for probably 1/2 hour trying to find where some of the other wires for the car come through... can't find anything though. In my old 89 Accord we were able to snake the 4gauge wire through some gomit/rubber thing that I think was a drain pipe also for the A/C. It was a little rough going but we got it in there ok. I didn't like that, we didn't seal it well and I would have prefered we just drilled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suggestions for going through the firewall (4 gauge wire), drill or snake it with something else? Where(for both)?
Old 01-03-2003, 12:09 PM
LjN_728

Snaking a 4 guage wire is tough and may cause some white hairs to sprout. If you would like to snake it, best place to do so is to run it where the fuse box is located in the engine compartment. You would have to move the fuse box aside to get it thru. But if you want to take the easy way out, drilling is the best solution. I'm assuming the 4 guage wire is to power ur amp. The area you should drill is located where the clutch would be. You will notice where the clutch would be is a outline which is the thinnest part of the firewall. Pick a sizeable drill bit. When drilling, you're going to have to push really hard. Watch out for the bits of metal because they are HOT! Use a filer or sand paper to smooth the edges out because you don't want to damage the 4 guage wire. Finish it off by applying silicone after u have run the wire thru.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:24 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Nice info. thank you much :thumbup: