Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

I need an Amp, but i dont have a clue....

Old 12-30-2002, 08:22 PM
Samson
chris is the devil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need an Amp, but i dont have a clue....

I know nothing about audio.... all i know is that i have:

- Sony CDX-CA700X
- Pioneer TS-A1161 (front)
- Pioneer TS-A6975 (back)

What Amp/watts is good enough for me? The problem im experiencing is sound distortion, with increased volume. I want to be able to listen louder, w/o distortion. I dont plan on getting a subwoofer, but if i ever decided to, will the Amp i choose now have an effect on which sub im able to use later? How much will a decent amp cost? As you can tell by my speakers, i dont need the best or even near best, just good enough. Am i able to install an Amp myself? I didnt install any of the rest of that.

thanks
Sean
Old 12-30-2002, 10:30 PM
y7civic

You could try this amp Sony XM-475GSX
Should be more than enough to run your speakers. If you feel confident that you could install the amp your self then go for it. They sell amp-wiring kits. The main
Wire is the power wire (red), which goes to the battery, should come with inline fuse if not add one for protection. Next is the ground wire (black) goes to your chassis. Last one is hooked up to your ignition (remote)
Should already have one hooked up to your CD player just splice in. Then just
Hook up your rca jacks preamp output to the front and rear behind your cd player. Then connect your speakers to the amp pretty straightforward positive (+) negative (-) left &right front & back. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:43 PM
b00gers

Default Re: I need an Amp, but i dont have a clue....

Originally posted by Samson
I know nothing about audio.... all i know is that i have:

- Sony CDX-CA700X
- Pioneer TS-A1161 (front)
- Pioneer TS-A6975 (back)

What Amp/watts is good enough for me? The problem im experiencing is sound distortion, with increased volume. I want to be able to listen louder, w/o distortion. I dont plan on getting a subwoofer, but if i ever decided to, will the Amp i choose now have an effect on which sub im able to use later? How much will a decent amp cost? As you can tell by my speakers, i dont need the best or even near best, just good enough. Am i able to install an Amp myself? I didnt install any of the rest of that.

thanks
Sean
you dont need more than 50x4 on a decent amp...get a small alpine amp for it. that will really make it sound better and most likely get rid of the distortion.

the amp you choose now will not matter if you get a sub in the future. unless you are planning to hook the sub up to that amp also. but thats another post.

putting in an amp is straight forward. hardest part is taking out the panels in your car to run the actual wires. so if you are comfortable with doing that, go for it. if you run into trouble, come back here or PM me. i can give step by step instructions on doing it depending on the car.

that deck only have 2 preouts....front and rear....so adding a sub will not be as straight forward as can be....but eh, thats off your topic.

the amp should be around $200, 8 guage wire kit is around $40.