Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

anyone have xm radio?

Old 12-24-2002, 05:31 PM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have xm radio?

as a christmas gift to myself, i loaded up on Delphi XM Radio gear.

DELPHI SKYFi XM Radio [$130 list - $50 BestBuy coupon = $80 - $60 mail in rebate = $20]

DELPHI SKYFi RF Modulator [$50]

DELPHI SKYFi Car Adapter Kit [$70 list - $50 BestBuy coupon = $20]

DELPHI SKYFi Home Adapter Kit [$70 list - $50 BestBuy coupon = $20]

DELPHI SKYFi BoomBox [$100 list - $50 photochopped BestBuy coupon = $50]

so $160 after rebate isn't too bad for this stuff. i also got a code for free activation and 3 months of service. now, here's my questions ...

is XM radio really worth it?

i know there are 101 channels, but just like cable tv, you HAVE to just skip over a few of them ... how many do you actually listen to?

do you ever lose your signal? if so, how often and where?

thanks!
Old 12-26-2002, 09:17 PM
VRGNCD5
cause it's tight!

no, but really thinking about it
Old 12-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Fo SHo

XM not worth it at all!!! I have a few friends who bought it when it first came out and they were not happy with the results. Its cool for a while but Ive only heard bad news from XM...
Old 12-28-2002, 08:11 PM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

I have had no experiance with this. However, that means I've not heard anything good.. but at the same time I've not heard anything bad about it either. I've been wanting to try it, but I don't have the cash.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:19 AM
95EXSedan

I don't have XM, but I do have Sirius. I've had it for about a month and it's great. I've completely stopped listening to FM.
Old 01-06-2003, 05:48 PM
BasicJim

I have had XM for about a month now. It rocks! I have 18 channels set in my HU and I listen to all of them, depending on the mood. I have NEVER lost signal.

XM Customer service has been outstanding. I wrote the programming director for one of the stations becase a show that they said would be on at midnight wasn't on. The dude emailed me back the next day and apologized. He told me what the problem was and asked if there was anything he could do to make up for my show not being on.

I listen to a lot of the electronica and dance. They have all my favorites and some stuff I haven't heard. I rarely have to change a station because it sucks.

The quality of the music is CD quality. By looking at the "car adaptor" that you have, I am not sure you will get the same quality. Because you are converting from a digital signal to an analog signal, you are going to lose some of the quality. If it were me, I would get a XM (or Sirius) ready HU and a XM (or sirius) digital tuner. Definatly more pure sound.

As for XM vs. Sirius, it is a matter of which HU you like. Sirius is $3 more a month, but totally comercial free. XM is cheaper $9/mo. and some of the channels have commercials. I am a cheap bastard, so I got XM (actually, I like Pioneer)!
Old 01-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

Originally posted by Fo SHo
XM not worth it at all!!! I have a few friends who bought it when it first came out and they were not happy with the results. Its cool for a while but Ive only heard bad news from XM...
I would love to hear what you and your friends have against XM...you're the first I've ever heard complain against them...XM OWNZ!
Originally posted by 95EXSedan
I don't have XM, but I do have Sirius. I've had it for about a month and it's great. I've completely stopped listening to FM.
What are you gonna do when Sirius goes under? They have more money invested than XM, and don't have 1/4 as many subscribers...you pay $3 more a month and you get what? The same stuff! Just different DJ's playing different music but it's all the same variety. Sirius is on it's way south...I give them a year from now TOPS!
Originally posted by BasicJim
As for XM vs. Sirius, it is a matter of which HU you like. Sirius is $3 more a month, but totally comercial free. XM is cheaper $9/mo. and some of the channels have commercials. I am a cheap bastard, so I got XM (actually, I like Pioneer)!
Actually, Sirius has buckled and are no longer commercial free anymore. They couldn't afford to stay commercial free and live off of subscriptions alone. They could if they had a few million subscribers but they don't...DOH! It sucks because my honest opinion is that Sirius has better technology and is better covered than XM. They just partnered up with all the wrong people. XM has the right people backing them up and are proving that. XM opened 2 months late in comparison to when they claimed they'd be up and running where Sirius took 8-9 months. They had more problems than they should've. I guess they shouldn't have rushed to get up and going in such a hurry...obviously they had a few details not so worked out huh? ;-) Oh well, Sirius is heading south and they're headed there fast...Now give XM the chance to buy Sirius and with Sirius' technology, they'll make CD's sound like crap. XM + great sounding radios = great sound. Sirius (better technology) + mid line at best radios = great sound. Now put Sirius' technology with the radios backed by XM....WHEW!!!!!!!!! That'd be some FUUUUNNNNNN stuff! :wiggle:
Old 01-07-2003, 07:43 AM
ShAg9yBrDr

im looking into getting sirius from kenwood. similar program just a little different. ive heard nothing but good things about XM and if you have a system, its the only radio to listen to!
Old 01-07-2003, 11:00 AM
e3NiNe
#CustomUserTitle

Originally posted by ShAg9yBrDr
im looking into getting sirius from kenwood. similar program just a little different. ive heard nothing but good things about XM and if you have a system, its the only radio to listen to!
just a warning ... i don't mean to sound pro-XM ... but sirius is almost done. if you do a google search with the words "sirius under" you'll see all the facts.

i think XM needed 250,000 customers inorder to keep operating through the 2nd quarter. their stock has been steadily rising and that's a good sign. rumors have it that they met the quota and then some, with 341,000 customers.

XM is also backed by GM (and that's about 8-9 car brands right there), Honda, and Nissan
Old 01-07-2003, 11:10 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

I did that search and found nothing under there that helped your point. Did I miss something? But I was just looking for the newest information out there about this. I know Sirius has been hurting financially and I don't see them getting any better...I'm curious to see if they have some trick up their sleeve this year at CES....