Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

alternator whine....

Old 12-23-2002, 04:31 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator whine....

I installed a Nakamichi CD 45z, and there is a faint alternator whine noise in the background. I pickedup 2 RCA ground loop isolators and installed them first from the deck to the RCA's going to the Amp.. and then I tried installing them just before the amp itself.

The whine is still there.. no change.

I tried grounding the HU to a different grounding spot but the noise got worse.. it sound the least when I use the stock ground wiring...

The concern is that my previous HU Pioneer 9300 had some alternator whine.. but after installing those ground loop isolators the whine had been erased but after this Nakamichi.. a faint whine crept in...

Any ideas!?

Ugh I dont wanna haveto tear apart my car... to (1) replace the RCAs going to my 4 channel amp with more expensive triple shielded ones.. (right now their double...Scosche type..)
(2) replace amp?

help guys!!

clean sounding stereo :thumbup: noise that creeps in.. :madfawk:
Old 12-23-2002, 06:57 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

check the ground on the amp itself...
and also what scoshe wires are they?
Old 12-23-2002, 07:02 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

They are not the efx series but the regular... shielded version.
About the grounding of the amp... with my previous installed HU the ground loop isolators elminated the noise...

Is there a step by step process of what to check.. to see where the noise is coming from?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:17 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

a couple things that may help.
i would check the ground wire on the amp itself, making sure to bolt it to the chasis of the car (sand the area to bare metal if needed)
also the RCA wiring may play a roll in it. I've had issues with just p[lain old shielded wiring, so i always get twisted pair rca's (www.darvex.com and www.knuconceptz.com are a great place to buy good wiring) also make sure to have the rcas and speaker wire running down one side and the power wire running down the opposite side...
hope this help