Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

newbie please help

Old 12-18-2002, 06:48 AM
iDs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie please help

i'm getting my girl a new sound system for xmas...but i know jack **** about audio...i already order an pioneer p840mp hu for $340, but dont know what to get for speaker she drive a del sol, so its 6.5 all around. my budget is around 150 for front and rear speaker...she like the pioneer speaker, but i heard i could get better speaker then pioneer...so any suggestion for front and rear?? 2 way or 3way? she like it loud and clear with a good bass...

on another note...i'm doing the installing (my first) so any tip on that would be greatly appreciated =)
Old 12-18-2002, 07:20 AM
clickwir
Floppy Death! noES!!!

Personally i prefer the Infinity Referance speakers, they have about the best Signal-to-noise ratio of most speakers in it's price range. However, they can be expensive. The 6.5" are going to run about $100 for one pair. I've had the 5-1/4" for my front and rear (they are bout $10-20 cheaper) for about a year in my old accord and they are amazing.

Tip for putting in the speakers, be very careful not to jump the screw head with the screwdriver. Would advise against using an electric for putting them in. Why? VERY VERY easy to slip and destroy the cone or surronds of the speaker. A screwdriver will go through them really easy. Just be careful and you'll be fine. Took me about 10 mins to put in my fronts and 15 more mins to put in my rears.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:32 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by clickwir
Personally i prefer the Infinity Referance speakers, they have about the best Signal-to-noise ratio of most speakers in it's price range. However, they can be expensive. The 6.5" are going to run about $100 for one pair. I've had the 5-1/4" for my front and rear (they are bout $10-20 cheaper) for about a year in my old accord and they are amazing.
since when does speakers have signal to noise ratio?
Old 12-18-2002, 07:40 AM
iDs

thanks clickwir for the tips...

but anymore good suggestion for speakers?? really need help gotta order it today to arrive for xmas
Old 12-18-2002, 07:48 AM
nando11211

I one up and recommend the Infiniti's. I have them and they are really good, they have nice and really clear mids and highs.

You should be able to find the fronts and rears for the Infiniti Reference at around $165 total if you bargain with them somewhat. Instructions are given with the speaker on how to install them so you should be fine. Just be careful.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:11 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

make sure to get infinity reference components for the front...
the car is small , so don't even worry about the rear
i would suggest this if you want.
usx 2080 amp - 85 bucks.
reference 6.5 comps 110
Old 12-18-2002, 10:25 AM
iDs

so i should get components instead of those 2way 3way speaker right? how harder would it be to install them? is it pretty much plug and play type of stuff?

also do i really need an amp for component speaker?(sorry for the newbie questions) just dont want to f*ck up..
Old 12-18-2002, 10:42 AM
smakdown

Yeah you are gonna probably want to get an amp for the components or any aftermarket speaker if she likes it loud.

As far as installing goes- the 2-way or 3-way coaxial speakers (means tweeter sitting with woofer on same axis) are pretty much plug and play depending on what depth they are.
For components (woofer in stock location, separate tweeter) installing the woofer will be relatively easy but finding a place for the tweeter might be a little difficult.

My first install were infinity 605cs components and it took me two days to do it. Mainly because i had to go out and get alot of parts like wire, door panel remover, etc...

have fun...
Old 12-18-2002, 10:47 AM
iDs

well im shopping at etronics.com Infinity REF605CS 6 1/2" Component System (Pair) for $120 + 15shippin..that dont leave me much for an amp...

so my question is will the HU alone power the speaker enough??
**** i dig myself deeper then i thought i would..should of just get her a ring or some****...
Old 12-18-2002, 11:34 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally posted by iDs
well im shopping at etronics.com Infinity REF605CS 6 1/2" Component System (Pair) for $120 + 15shippin..that dont leave me much for an amp...

so my question is will the HU alone power the speaker enough??
**** i dig myself deeper then i thought i would..should of just get her a ring or some****...
www.ikesound.com
ref 605cs for 110 SHIPPED
www.sounddomain.com
usx 2080 amp for 85 bucks