Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Civic CD Unit pain in the a$$

Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM
b.st0ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic CD Unit pain in the a$$

okay i luv my car gudass gas milage nice upgraded pioneer speakers and everything except for the explode headunit its a piece of shit stops everytime the car goes over a bump or something so i decided im gonna change it i followed this DIY http://installdr.com/InstallDocs/Honda/PDF/466013.pdf
the one problem its an aftermarket one and i think the fitting assembly is stuck in there the radio starts to slide out easily from the right side but the lest side is jammed in ive included some pictures maybe you guys can help me out with it
Old 10-02-2008, 04:57 PM
cpvdh

96-98 civic?
stock stereo location or lower?
what has been unscrewed?
oem keyless entry, alarm?
mounting cage?
pics?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:52 PM
b.st0ne

i think theres a mounting cage in there yes its a 96-98 civic

stock stereo location

i unscrewed the lower dash the two screws underneath it pulled it all off and then tried to push the unit out it jams from the left side my computer wont detect the camera so i cant upp the pictures rite now but soon as i can i will
Old 10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

more info and pics would help
Old 10-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Omie
ew n!gg@ u g@y

Originally Posted by b.st0ne
i think theres a mounting cage in there yes its a 96-98 civic

stock stereo location

i unscrewed the lower dash the two screws underneath it pulled it all off and then tried to push the unit out it jams from the left side my computer wont detect the camera so i cant upp the pictures rite now but soon as i can i will
you took all of the screws out hold the radio?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:54 AM
b.st0ne

ya i did
Old 10-03-2008, 10:56 AM
cpvdh

well here is what i would do

remove the lower left dash, just a few screws that are easy to get to and it pops off
unhinge the glovebox, squish the middle of the side in to get it past the stopper, it will just hang down towards your feet
this allows you to access the side screws to remove the lower middle dash
couple more screws to the lower middle part where the cig lighter is and you can remove it

once thats gone you can almost sneak your hands up from underneath to the back of the hu
the stock hu has a screw that holds it in from behind that must be removed this way
the cage of the sony hu may have gotten cought on some of the crap back in there, lots of wires and hvac stuff, it wouldnt surprise me for it to just have a bent cage and need some finessing to remove

good luck
Old 10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
b.st0ne

i did put my hand behind the whole thing its very hard i was thinking if its possible to remove that black part the whole housing in which the heat controll vents and hazard light thing resides into if i can remove that then ill be able to remove the actual cage too
Old 10-04-2008, 09:36 AM
cpvdh

it is possible to remove the entire hvac controls dash area, but its a real bitch
some people swap to the 99-00 style console, so there are diy's around that show the removal of the 96-98 if you do some searching

does the hu move from the cage at all?
does the cage move from from the dash at all?
which part is catching?
can you see the mounting tabs on the cage that hold it in?
can you see the tabs on the hu that hold it into the cage?

wait, what kind of trim ring is there around the hu?
the stock stereo isnt a standard din, so you must have a trim of some kind
the one i had just pops in and out, but some could be screwed in as well and could be your problem

also when i removed the hu that came in my car it wouldnt come out easily, i had to press upward slightly from behind while sliding it forward with no left/right movement so it wouldnt catch on the way out

besides those things i cant think of anything helpful, there isnt any other trick to it, just having tiny hands and patience
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 AM
b.st0ne

ok finally got it out that lil bitch had a button on the inside on the top on both sides u had to push it n pull it out i found it out cas i was feeling for any screws left and i found the button n i hit it n it slid rite out wow well thank you guys who tried to help