Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

remote starter and stereo question

Old 11-30-2002, 05:37 PM
frank
frank from canada

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote starter and stereo question

hey i recently got a remote starter hooked up to my alarm and it works fine except that sometimes like 1/3rh the time, when i remote start my car my stereo doesn't turn on, it acts as if the power to the stereo is cut. i know that cause i have to adjust the time after i get it to work.
my stereo turns on normally and works fine if i hand crank the car with the key.
does anyone know whats wrong, have any suggestsions before i bring it back to where i got it installed from? thanks!
Old 12-01-2002, 01:10 PM
LjN_728

Ok i'm not an expert in remote starts but this is wut i think...

Answer this...does your cigarette lighter work when you use the remote start? No right because you need to turn the ignition to at the first click. Like the cigarette lighter, the radio turns on only when the ignition's at the first click. That's why you said your stereo turns on normally when you use the key. For your car, when you use the remote start, don't you have to put in the key like within 5 mins or else the engine shuts off?

If this really bothers you, you can bypass it but the cons to that is your radio is pretty much on 24/7. That means you can turn it on even when your engine's off and when you don't have the key in. This would be a problem only if your have an amp that's hooks up to the constant power of your radio.

Hope this explains your probs. Yea can't do much about it.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:43 PM
frank
frank from canada

thanks for the reply but thats not exactly the case, the radio DOES turn on sometimes when i remote start it and i have something hooked up to the cigarette lighter and that turns on fine too. i thought about the first click thing but it didn't make sense cause my radio does turn on sometimes with the remote start... and my cigarette lighter always works, also the key doesn't have to be in the ignition, it auto matically turns off after 15 minutes (which is user settable) or i can turn it off with the buttons... on my key chain.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:46 PM
LjN_728

hmm...sorry then. i'm pretty much out of ideas. the only thing i could think of is bad connection. take it back to the store and ask them.
Old 12-01-2002, 04:52 PM
frank
frank from canada

thanks, just thought i'd run it by some people here before i start complaining incase it was something stupid
Old 12-03-2002, 11:03 PM
offthahook
Reppin' the 317, SUCKA!!

When they installed my alarm and remote start on my 91 Lude, the fan motor didn't work, so I hadda take it back. I can't believe they didn't test it first; that's why you get them. Then, I left without checking it!!! My radio never comes on with my remote start...
Old 12-04-2002, 08:08 AM
frank
frank from canada

thanks, but the problem is that it DOES work, but only randomly sometimes.. somedays its perfect and everything works like it's supposed to and somedays.. its not
Old 12-04-2002, 11:51 AM
Buckman

To me that sound like there is something wrong with the install. There is no reason why the radio shouldn't come on when you start the car. Even if you remote start the car or turn the key it's all the same the car is turning on. When I remote start my car everything turns on fine and thats the way it should be. From the sound of things one of a couple things have gone wrong here.

Either some of the wires have come loose and aren't making a connection all the time. I really doubt this because then it wouldn't work at all sometimes. But it sounds like it starts everytime for you.

The Remote start brain has going bad and isn't working right. Again I doubt this for the same reasons above.

The connections from your radio to the car are loose. I would bet on this, I would double check all connections beween the radio and the car. My bet it's a grounding problem or something is just wrong with your radio.

Look at it like this. The radio must turn on when and if the car is started. It doesn't matter if you remote start it or key start it. The only way that doesn't happen is if you turn the radio off before you get out of the car or the connections are bad to the radio. I'll bet you anything that if you test the wires be hide the radio when you remote start they will be the same if you key start the car.

What I say is check the radio there is a better chance thats the problem and the remote start is fine.
Old 12-04-2002, 11:57 AM
frank
frank from canada

thanks dude. i went and got it checked out and they showed that the radio accessory line was putting out 12 v's so they sold me a new wire harness and i'll swap it and see what happens.

thanks
Old 12-04-2002, 12:04 PM
Buckman

Well your accessory wire should be a soild 12 volts all the time. That is the wire that keeps your memory in the radio. BTW it's the yellow wire. I would check the ingition wire (red wire) in the harness. If your accessory wire is not putting out 12 volts all the time then you have a problem and check you battery.