Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp stays in Protection Circuitry mode

Old 11-28-2002, 07:27 PM
slammmedintegra
slammed!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp stays in Protection Circuitry mode

I was driving down the street when my amp suddenly swtiched to Protection mode. I have 2 12' Kenwood Tornado subs powered by MA audio A500watt amp. I know its weak, but my friend gave me a great deal on it. My system was working perfectly fine for 3 months until a couple days ago. I reconnected all the wires and still no postive results. I tried powering 1 sub and again, it still doesnt work. Its not bridged, its wired parallel. I'm still new at this audio stuff, so any helpful suggestions are welcomed.
Old 11-29-2002, 12:15 AM
McIntosh'd UA5
got VIP?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to tell us more about your equipment or we can guess forever. protection can be caused by one of two things, either thermal or short circuit. thermal protection is usually due to the amp running too hard/hot because the amp is not getting the proper impedance. since you said it's not bridged, i assume you have a 2 channel amp so each channel should be wired to a sub running at 2 or 4 ohms. what is the resistance value on the subs? how many voicecoils? short circuit is when the ends of the sub cables touch one another, or if the positive end touches ground like the chassis. how is the installation...nice and neat with no frayed wire ends?