Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

JL Subwoofers

Old 11-28-2002, 12:48 PM
BUMPIN' 4 U
Certified JACKASS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JL Subwoofers

I own a pair of JL 10W3 that I got from my friend last summer. I'm saving money right now for a custom box that will go on my 01 Accord 4dr spare tire well. A guy from Ebay offered me his 3 10" JLW6's in sealed box for $350. Which of the woofers will hit harder and sound better ? I do have a Phoenix Gold amp ZX600ti to power the subs.
Old 11-28-2002, 02:45 PM
94cc0rd

if both the 2 10w3 and 3 10w6s are in good condition, the 3 10w6 would obviously hit harder... but the bad thing about the w6 are, the ohm impedence is hard to match, its a SVC 6 ohm. so you would have to get an amp that is stable at 1.5 ohms or 3 or whatever... but im not an expert... i have a friend that has 2 12w6 with a Kicker 800.2 amp in his Celica. it sounds great and gets hella loud.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:46 PM
b00gers

all JL subs are DVC. W6 have that weird impedance.

the w3 and w6 are very similar, the w6 can handle more power. depending on how much power you have...you can be very happy with the w3s.
Old 11-28-2002, 11:57 PM
McIntosh'd UA5
got VIP?

the newer w3 (but not the current v2 models) actually has a bigger excursion than the older w6s, and i recall both pretty much have the same power rating too. if you disregard the impedance levels and simply did the math, the max amp power is 600w...3 subs will get 200 each, while 2 subs get 300w each so the w3s should hit harder. if you factor in cone area, 3 subs will obviously move more air. three w6s will wire down to 4 ohms so the previous math statement works, but we don't know what model w3 subs you have...are they the d2s or d4s (i think they came d3s too, or was it d6)?
Old 11-29-2002, 02:52 AM
BUMPIN' 4 U
Certified JACKASS

My W3's are D4's
Old 12-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Buckman

The old W3s are based off the W6s. All things being equal you couldn't tell witch sub was the W3 and witch was the W6. Maybe the only way you would know would be by looking at the cone. In fact the W3 has somethings that the W6 doesn't have so in some ways you can look at the W3 as a better woofer then the W6, but thats before the v2's of both versions have come out. The new W6 in the little brother of the W7 and the new W3 is a rework version of it's old self. Either way that you go with two W3 or 3 W6 you are it's goign to sound good. The 3 W6s is going to be louder because, will you have an extra speaker.

Just do clear something up here. The W6 doesn't have a weird impedance. It is a DVC with 6 Ohm coils. This is the reason it's called a W6 because the coils are 6 Ohms. Now I know that it sounds weird but follow me for a second.

I hope that everyone knows that with a DVC sub you can get two different final inpedances from the sub. With a DVC 6 Ohm you can get a 12 Ohm sub (series the coils) or a 3 Ohm sub (parallel the coils). How that you are armed with that lets take it a to other level. Now you have three subs and you need to get the best impedance at you amp. Lets make this easy and say that you need to get 4 ohms at the amp. Now look at it like this you either have 3 12 Ohm subs or 3 3 Ohm subs. Now do you want to series the three subs together or parallel them. Well lets to the math. Lets start with the 3 ohm set up, since we paralleled the coils on the subs we have to run all three subs in parallel by doing the math of 3 ohms/3 subs = 1 ohm load to the amp. Not the 4 ohms we were look for. Now with the series setup 12 Ohms/3 subs = 4 ohm load to the amp. Thats the set up that you need for the amp. Just remember this 6 Ohm coils are for run subs in odd number combos like 1 sub, 3 subs, 5 subs.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:04 AM
b00gers

Originally posted by Buckman

Just do clear something up here. The W6 doesn't have a weird impedance.........
Originally posted by Buckman

Just remember this 6 Ohm coils are for run subs in odd number combos like 1 sub, 3 subs, 5 subs.
that is what makes them "weird" IMO. many people run one sub or at most a pair. with one sub or 3OHMs, you probably wont be able to take full advantage of the amp you have. same with a pair of dual 6OHMs.
Old 12-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

Buckman, you're a retard...just FYI!
Originally posted by 94cc0rd
but the bad thing about the w6 are, the ohm impedence is hard to match, its a SVC 6 ohm.
actually, they're a dual 6 ohm to be wired in series/parallel to reach a 4 ohm mono load. Run a 2 channel amp to it and you'll get full power out of it and be sweeeeet.
Originally posted by WiLL
all JL subs are DVC. W6 have that weird impedance.

the w3 and w6 are very similar, the w6 can handle more power. depending on how much power you have...you can be very happy with the w3s.
Actually, only the W3's, W6's and the 13W7 are DVC. the rest are SVC. As above, 3 dual 6 ohm subs gives you 4 ohms...4's not weird hehe The W3's and W6's aren't as similar as you may think. Yeah they have similar sound and similar power handling but the make-up of the subs are different. The W6 is an older sub (originally was released in late '92) so it does not have their VRC technology. The W6 has a lot larger of a magnet and a slightly larger voice coil. The W6 is a cleaner sounding sub but the W3 is more efficient so it will hit harder off of the same amount of power. I hope this clears it up a bit...
Old 12-05-2002, 10:13 AM
Buckman

You're just upset because I'm right too....You're a Loser! :thumbup:
Old 12-05-2002, 10:14 AM
Toxis
Car Audio Manb*tch

editted by SiClone for a lack of any reference to Car Audio