Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

factory keyless entry w/ new HU?

Old 11-19-2002, 09:47 PM
smokedogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory keyless entry w/ new HU?

my ex wants me to install a deck in her 97 civic ex. i said no problem until i realized that she wants to keep her factory keyless entry with the new deck. is there any way to do this? she was told by the ppl who sold it to her that they could install it and have it still work for an extra $150. she mentioned something about them leaving a piece from the factory HU in there
Old 11-20-2002, 09:40 AM
BUMPIN' 4 U
Certified JACKASS

My friend installed an aftermarket deck in his 99 civic and there's no problem. A honda salesman told me about the keyless not working if you replace the factory HU but I think it just a plain BS.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:02 AM
b00gers

there were some cases where the keyless entry was tied into the factory HU, i beleive they make harnesses for that. but thats about all i know.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:51 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

I am not sure... but I think it was just the CRV and Civic LX models that had that issue. I am not sure either. Best way to find out... take the deck out, if there is more than one wirring harness that plugs into the deck, then the keyless entry is in the deck. I know for a fact that the 99-2000 Civic EX and SI did NOT have it in the deck.
Old 11-20-2002, 01:02 PM
rcurley55

The only honda's that this affects (to my knowledge) are the 96-98 Civics. Honda had the infinite wisdom to integrate part of the factory keyless entry into the factory headunit...once again Honda gives us the shaft.

It's very easy to fix this problem though....all you have to do, is keep the factory head hooked up, and stash it somewhere. I'm not sure if Metra or one of the other companies makes a specific harness for this application, but with a helms manual and some splicing you can easlily get this one to work.

This web site has the whole install documented for you, including how to work around Honda being a moron when it comes to their audio integration:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/466013.pdf
Old 11-20-2002, 08:20 PM
smokedogg

thanks guys, i did a little research and found that i have to have the factory deck in the car to keep the keyless entry working, it is intregrated like rcurley said. but i can get an adapter from crutchfield that allows for the factory deck and aftermarket deck to be hooked up at the same time.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:50 AM
mizturyous
Terd Furgeson

You can get the harness at just about any car audio dealer also. If they carry METRA brand then it will be a 70-1720T. The factory radio also keeps the dome light working. Like it was said before the only Civics it affected is the 96-99 models. You can stash the radio behind the part of the console where the cigarette lighter is. You may have to move some wires over behind there for it to fit properly but it will go. Also when you put the radio behind there you will need to make sure that you have the part of the radio that has a "gap" or "empty space" in it which is the top of the radio where the tape player would normally go if it was in the head unit, facing out toward the cigarette lighter. It will need to be this way so that the cigarette lighter can fit in that space. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:28 PM
smokedogg

thanks for the info, ill be doing the install next week sometime once the part comes in. hopefully all goes well