Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

CD Player *****y about CD-R's, wtf

Old 11-17-2002, 08:23 AM
Fryd_Up
rebmeM roineS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CD Player *****y about CD-R's, wtf

alright, I have a JVC KD-SX840 CD player in my car. It plays normal cd's fine. But, when it comes to CD-R's its EXTREMELY picky. They must be burnt on either blue (TDK or Verbatim) or gold (PNY) cd-r's or it will not work. Also, I havent tried this yet, but I'm thinking the burn speed has to be extremely slow. cause when i burnt a cd at 40x, the car didnt want to play it, then it did, and now it no longer plays it anymore. I have no idea whats going on but if anyone know's what the problem is or if there's any solution to fixing it I'd really appreciate it. I dont want to have to buy another HU but if this keeps being a ***** I'm gonna have to. Thanks.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:21 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its an older deck, the lasers sometimes have trouble reading cdr's cause the disc surface is darker... either use the CD's that work or get a new deck... its a pain, I know... the old cd player in my moms car wouldnt play any cdr's.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:31 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Contrary to what everyone believes (or WANTS to believe), there is not a single manufacturer in the audio business who guarantees that their CD players will play EVERY cd-r. The problem is that home cd burners (whether in your computer or in your home stereo) carry approx. 80% of the reflectivity of the origional cd. When cd's are burned at the factory, they come off the master (or remastered) recordings of the artists. They use equipment that costs more than you will make the next 10 years. I won't go into the whole digital-analog process -- the bottom line is a factory cd is the only cd that has complete refective properties. CD-R's are dimminished by about 20%. So, some cd players, even though they have a sticker on the box that says it plays cd-r's, will not play all of them perfectly each and every time. Which, by the way, is a complete joke because my Sony home changer can play CD-R's and it is almost eight years old. The technology of a CD hasn't changed in 20 years. Just the fact that you can burn your own at home, but not a perfect copy.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:35 PM
Mike
Banned

Some cd players just aren't able to read through the die in the disc.

Mike
Old 12-03-2002, 11:25 PM
offthahook
Reppin' the 317, SUCKA!!

I thought the darker dyes were better for compatibilty on HU?? My JVC does fine, but hates the cold when it comes to playing ANY CD!!! Once the car is warm, it works great.
Old 12-04-2002, 12:39 AM
aux
More Black on Black Crime

my deck couldnt play my cdrw