Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Running system w/ engine off for long periods

Old 11-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running system w/ engine off for long periods

Reading that other post about an extra battery reminded me of this problem I need to solve.

I sometimes run my system for hours on ends without the car on (don't ask me why ) and one time my car almost didn't start :thumbup:

I was wondering what I could do to let it run without draining my battery down to the point where my car won't start. I have a huge nearly brand new exide battery sitting at home so maybe hook that up somehow? (I don't know what I would need).

Gimme some opinions
Old 11-14-2002, 10:33 AM
b00gers

i cant help but to ask you why. it wont hurt to turn the car on for 30secs every 20-30 mins.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:54 PM
McIntosh'd UA5
got VIP?

there is this thing called the battery saver...it sets a limit with just enough juice to start the car and it will cut off the flow when you reach that point.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:44 PM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

solution; turn key, start car
whats wrong with you ? LMAO
Old 11-14-2002, 03:56 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Keep in mind, when your battery is low or drained, and you manage to start the car, the alternator has to work VERY hard to recharge the battery. So you are adding extra wear and tear on the alternator's bearings, diodes, and core. My suggestion is not to run the stereo without the engine running. And alot of highway driving for the next week (that's the best way to charge the battery).
Old 11-15-2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by WiLL
i cant help but to ask you why. it wont hurt to turn the car on for 30secs every 20-30 mins.
and revv it up to 3k for the 30 seconds

(thats what i need to do to get a good charge incase i need to jump someones batt)
Old 11-15-2002, 12:58 PM
Nvious_Creation
Envious Creations Founder

if i were you i would put that other battery in your trunk and just run it off of that battery or dont turn it on when the cars not on.