Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

grounding from the battery back?

Old 11-07-2002, 02:44 PM
long

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grounding from the battery back?

I was thinking about my ground and my car (tiburon) isn't that great for grounding. I really think it's just my car. Im not sure. But I was thinking about running a 4g wire from the battery to the trunk and ground it that way.

Is that a good Idea? Right now I have a 0g wire from the battery running to the back for power. Would a 4g wire for ground be to little? Would I have to match it with a 0g wire? Or should I just make sure the battery is grounded good then get a nice secure area in the trunk to ground?
Old 11-07-2002, 05:36 PM
acuradriva

If you find a ground closer to the amp it would be better and use what ever gauge you have going into the amp.
Old 11-07-2002, 06:01 PM
long

Originally posted by acuradriva
If you find a ground closer to the amp it would be better and use what ever gauge you have going into the amp.
thanks..i have room. i jsut have to make sure its a good ground. ill have to find out though. someone just told me its better to run the ground straight from the battery back. thanks.
Old 11-07-2002, 07:42 PM
SiClone
X-Moder8er

Originally posted by long
thanks..i have room. i jsut have to make sure its a good ground. ill have to find out though. someone just told me its better to run the ground straight from the battery back. thanks.
The ground should be as short as possible.... Also, you should replace the stock ground wire attached to the battery with something bigger....:thumbup:
Old 11-09-2002, 07:20 PM
acuradriva

well actually a ground is a ground whole world 'round. But it ground wire has resistance the longer it is and the skinnier it is the more resistance it has. If you can find a ground wire that is as thick as your entire chasis of your car and run that up to the alt/bat there will be no difference.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:03 PM
long

so I should def. upgrade the wire from the battery to the chassis right? i think its a 8g right now. would 4g do or 0g just for the small piece from the bat to the car which is less then a foot.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:42 PM
seth90dx

4 gage is fine, thats what Im usin! And yes, there is a differance between runing the ground through the car VS runing it from the battery! Whoever told you to run your ground from the battery needs to get SLAPED HARD! See I have already been down this road, I ended up blowing an amp and 2 subs What happens is that since you have it grounded to the battery terminal and not to the car, it is actualy NOT grounded! The car works like a huge cable right? Well lets think of it more like a sponge for DC current. Now even if you have a wire goin from the batterie to the frame and the wire runnin to your amp(s) EXC, you are still not grounded (well not the amps/subs exc) Because the DC current is goin ONE way! It doesent travel back to the frame to make sure your amp(s) EXC dont get fried! Hell no, it goes wherever the least resistance is.... Therefor iether the current will go straight to the amp(s) ungrounded, or into the car frame.... Its hard to explane, but I hope that you can get the point