Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

taking out old Clarion deck

Old 10-19-2002, 11:38 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default taking out old Clarion deck

Im trying to take out my old Clarion head unit, but something seems to be holding it in. I dont have the keys since my deck came with the car when I bought it. What can I use and what do you think is holding the deck in?
Old 10-19-2002, 12:51 PM
b00gers

i still think its like this...

the tabs on the cage is secured to the plastic on your dash. then the deck itself, thats locked into the cage.

let me take a pic of my setup, and how i take it out. because you can hardly see the "slot" for my keys also.

wait a week, and i'll let you borrow my keys.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:14 PM
b00gers

the key goes between the red arrows. its really kinda hard to see the slot.

same for right side.

the key in the slot

same.

i just have to push the key father in and it will unhook the deck from the cage, then pull the key out, and the deck will come out with it.
Old 10-19-2002, 01:22 PM
LjN_728

keep in mind that the "key" is nothing more than just a straight piece of metal. so just go cut a piece of sheet metal or something like that, and make sure it fits into the slot of the HU. If worse comes to worse, u might have to bend the cage to get it out. Is there any way u can take apart the console so that u can reach ur hand inside and push the entire HU out?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:30 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally posted by LjN_728
keep in mind that the "key" is nothing more than just a straight piece of metal. so just go cut a piece of sheet metal or something like that, and make sure it fits into the slot of the HU. If worse comes to worse, u might have to bend the cage to get it out. Is there any way u can take apart the console so that u can reach ur hand inside and push the entire HU out?

i took apart the center console. cant see or reach anything else....i tried pushing and yanking...no luck. i dont want to break or crack the climate control or the dash units. seems like something is holding it in....but im not sure if it is the tabs or not.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:56 PM
LjN_728

Originally posted by asiandoood
i took apart the center console. cant see or reach anything else....i tried pushing and yanking...no luck. i dont want to break or crack the climate control or the dash units. seems like something is holding it in....but im not sure if it is the tabs or not.

well the way that the cage is setup is that the HU has indentations on them. so it's like when u slide the HU in the cage, it kinda clips on. Get wut i mean? That's wut the keys are made for. You slip in the keys so that it lifts up the indentations, that way the HU can slide right out. Trust me and go get some straight piece of metal that fiits the slots and slide it right in. It should do the trick!
Old 10-20-2002, 11:16 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

well the way that the cage is setup is that the HU has indentations on them. so it's like when u slide the HU in the cage, it kinda clips on. Get wut i mean? That's wut the keys are made for. You slip in the keys so that it lifts up the indentations, that way the HU can slide right out. Trust me and go get some straight piece of metal that fiits the slots and slide it right in. It should do the trick!

Yeah...I know whatcha mean by the cage/slots/keys. I've installed/uninstalled a few HU before.

The problem is...it seems to be more than just the cage itself. Im going to try the metal pieces again.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:17 AM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

Originally posted by WiLL

wait a week, and i'll let you borrow my keys.

thanks mang...
Old 10-20-2002, 12:55 PM
LjN_728

wut kind of car u pulling it out from? cuz i kno that some cars actually have screws that are holding it in.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:46 PM
b00gers

wut kind of car u pulling it out from? cuz i kno that some cars actually have screws that are holding it in.
the car in his sig.

5th gen civic sedan?