Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

98 Civic front speaker size & recommendations

Old 01-08-2008, 11:18 AM
Sickboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Civic front speaker size & recommendations

Hi I've got a 98 Civic 4 door, and according to crutchfield and everyone else it's supposed to take a 6.5" front speaker. I got some cheap aftermarket speakers that are 6.5 but they are at least 1/2" bigger diameter than the stock speakers, so they won't fit diameter-wise...and the magnets too big to fit in the depression in the plastic so they won't fit that way either. Can someone recommend something to put in there? size/brand that you know will fit? Thx
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
flyromeo3

crutchfield tells you which speakers fit. THey take into consideration magnet and diameter size.

thast what happens when you buy cheap speakers.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:39 PM
videotuning

cheap speakers no fidelity
Old 01-10-2008, 12:22 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have to cut the plastic basket out of the door
Old 01-10-2008, 10:27 PM
jgojohn

I bought some adapters off of eBay for my 95 Civic. Unfortunately I can't find any adapters for your vehicle year.
If you can find some, these worked great for me:

I was too lazy to make some adapters out of MDF, but I've done it before.

MDF adapters would be the best way to go. Just REMOVE (don't cut - unnecessary permanent damage) the plastic housing brackets. Get some 3/4" MDF and a jigsaw. Whatever you do, don't use plywood or anything other than MDF for that matter. It will not sound good, and it will probably vibrate, resonate, or rattle.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:32 PM
jgojohn

By making your own adapters, you will be able to fit anything, and get a real nice sound system.

Crutchfield filters out the speakers that don't fit in your vehicle specific search, but if you make your own brackets, you can fit ANY 6.5" speaker. The speakers that fit in the stock speaker brackets (housing, bucket, or whatever they call it) are not very good if you are looking for high-quality sound.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Sickboy

excellent info, thanks. I never thought about making a bracket, I guess I'll look into that.