Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Car Antenna

Old 09-26-2007, 11:25 PM
Difussion3
Touge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Antenna

I was wondering what makes the antenna go up and down when the stereo is on. I just got a new Pioneer cd player installed and my antenna stays up wether im listening to the radio, cd, or ipod. On my old Alpine cd player the antenna would only come up when I would listen to the radio. It would go back down when I would listen to a cd. Why does my antenna stay up all the time now? (it does go back down when the cd player or car is turned off).
Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 AM
dieneverknowing

Check your manual to see if you're head unit has a specific setting for when the antenna is to be used. Also, perhaps the power for the antenna was connected to the power for the radio instead of a separate power antenna wire in which case the antenna will go up when the unit receives power. And on the other hang it could just be the head unit itself. Just because it's a newer unit doesn't mean it'll carry all the same features as previous units.

So first check a manual for settings, and if there's nothing specific, check the wiring.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:17 PM
russianpsyco

did u install the stereo yourself? i took my stereo to best buy for installation and they wired it so the antenna would go out when the stereo turns on, i took the stereo out and rewired it the rite way, now everything works like it should. the wiring is most likely the problem.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by russianpsyco
did u install the stereo yourself? i took my stereo to best buy for installation and they wired it so the antenna would go out when the stereo turns on, i took the stereo out and rewired it the rite way, now everything works like it should. the wiring is most likely the problem.
thats the way its supposed to be. when you put the tuner on the ant. goes up when you change to CD the ant. goes down.

how did you do it the "right way" did they NOT do it like i mention?
Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Thats what the "ANT" wire is for on the back of the radio.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:52 AM
finnstang

The power antenna was probably wired to the amp power connection instead of the antenna power connection. Not all head units have both though. Some only have the amp connection.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:13 PM
mr22na
Miss It.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finnstang
The power antenna was probably wired to the amp power connection instead of the antenna power connection. Not all head units have both though. Some only have the amp connection.
true. connecting it to the SOLID blue wire would cause it to go up when ever the radio is on no matter what SOURCE its in.

blue with WHITE stripe is pwr ant.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Difussion3
Touge

So then it could just be my unit?? Cause I didn't install it.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM
russianpsyco

your unit is most likely fine. take the stereo out and check the wires so that the antenna wire (blue) isnt also connected to the ignition wire (red). if it is then cut the 2 wires and rewire them so that its blue to blue, red to red. that will make your antenna come out only when your listening to the radio. hope this helps
Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 AM
jzer10

I have one for you guys for a 1996 Acura Integra GSR we just got. I replaced the mast and now the antenna goes DOWN when the radio is turned ON and goes UP when the radio is turned OFF. The antenne didn't work when we got it, so I don't know how it functioned before I replaced the mast.

The Remote Antenna .1A wire from the rear of the radio is connected to the blue wire in the wiring harness. There is no other wire to connect it to, which is what I'd think you'd have to do to change the direction (swap wires, just like any other motor?)

I tried applying power to the antenna with the radio already on and vice-versa. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Also, the new mast basically starts half way up and then goes all the way up and then back to half way up. It doesn't come all the way down. Supposed to be the right one, but the range of travel is only about 12 inches.

Thanks for any help, Jim