Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Headunit short

Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 AM
mikeybaby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headunit short

Hi I have a aftermarket sony headunit in my 1991 integra ls and I just installed 4 Kenwood KFC-1680IE speakers
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134701325409
Ever since I installed them sometimes my deck will turn off and then turn back on why could this be I was told that I didnt need a amp to run them but could this be the reason why?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:44 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Welcome to the world of owning any Sony audio product, they're just not quality products. I'd take a bet that the radio is getting a bit old??
Old 04-16-2007, 05:50 PM
mikeybaby

its the mex1gp I actually just recently got it
Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

My point still stands, Sony has never been commended for their audio products.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
mikeybaby

alright thanks but do you think if I get a amp the problem will be solved?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:05 AM
Thi3v3z

This is totally opinion, but when i had my kenwood cd player, and i was running my sub off the rcas. When i turned on rap with somewhat medium volume, it would shut off and then restart. It had an auto-protect mode when i tried to send too much power through it. Sounds like your having the same problem. Your head unit is not powerful enough to push those speakers so its trying to work to hard. My thought would be, add whichever is cheaper, a amp plus all the wiring and such, or get a better head unit. I imagine it never shuts off at lower volumes? just when u got it blasted?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
mikeybaby

no once before it shut off with my music barely playing
Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by Thi3v3z
This is totally opinion, but when i had my kenwood cd player, and i was running my sub off the rcas. When i turned on rap with somewhat medium volume, it would shut off and then restart. It had an auto-protect mode when i tried to send too much power through it. Sounds like your having the same problem. Your head unit is not powerful enough to push those speakers so its trying to work to hard. My thought would be, add whichever is cheaper, a amp plus all the wiring and such, or get a better head unit. I imagine it never shuts off at lower volumes? just when u got it blasted?

The HU is on it's way out, the speakers have nothing to do with it. The only other thing he could address is if the amp in the HU is overheating and why, but it's honestly not worth it. Just get a new HU, Alpine maybe. Alpines are one of the few that have a small fan on the back that pulls hot air off of the amp.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
b00gers

If a speaker is rated for 50 watts RMS, and the amp is rated at 25 watts. The speaker is not going to force extra wattage out of the amp...harming it. The signal flows from the headunit to the amp to the speakers.

You said this happen after you installed the speakers. An easy way to try and solve this is to deduct all the variables. Take those speakers out and plug in your old ones.

This is all assuming that you installed everything neatly and correctly.