Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

2003 accord sub install.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:27 AM
xcitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 accord sub install.

Hey,
I just upgraded my box and wiring to my subs.
One of the things I did was wrapped some of the sound deadener around the subs magnet, and basket itself. Now my bass is not anywhere near what it used to be before. I am thinking that by doing this it is seriously capping the bass. I also filled the box as much as I could with polyester polyfill, could this be hindering me as well?
I have them connected in paralle to 1 mono amp, pioneer 800 max not sure about RMS, 2 10" fosgates 150 RMS 300 Max. Specifics arent really necessary considering all I'm asking is what I did hurting or improving?
I have them connected through 10 gauge wire and in a MTX MDF unported box.
Thanks for any1 who answers.
xcitor
Old 02-22-2007, 12:32 PM
scotttharobot
beer here

are you kidding or being serious? i can't tell online...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Pull out all the polyfill. Use just enough the have a thin layer on the interior walls of the box.

Take the sound deadening off of the sub, what were you thinking?? I don't think it's hurting anything, but why would you do that.

It's the poly fill that killing the sound.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 AM
xcitor

Yep serious as a heartattack.
Prolly just my mental retardation, and i do apologize for it
Anyway solved my own problem, still a newb but learning more an more everyday.
What happened was I called one of the privatly owed car audio shops around here and asked him if I wrap my sound deadener around the back of my coax speaker that it would prolly give me more bass. So i ran with the idea and was NOT thinking what so ever when I did it. As for the poly fill I had no idea about how to put it in.

Thanks for the answers guys HAHA
God I feel like a douche.....LOL
xcitor

Last edited by xcitor; 02-25-2007 at 06:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:22 AM
xcitor

What happened was I called one of the privatly owedshops around here and asked him if I wrap my sound deadener around the back of my coax speaker that it would prolly give me more bass.

Is this true?
I am about to sound deaden my doors and was wondering if I should do this with the 6.5's.
Thanks,
xcitor
Old 02-26-2007, 04:17 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Think about it, you don't need to deaden a speaker, just the panel it's attached to.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:44 PM
97teg

Are you talking about completely enclosing the speaker in deadener?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I think that's what he means:ugh:
Old 02-27-2007, 05:51 PM
97teg

Well a couple of things. I have heard of frame resonance in some speakers so if that is the case then wrapping just the frame spokes in deadener may help. I doubt this would make a real world difference in a car where the background noise is so high though.

Now if you are talking enclosing the back of the speaker in deadener you are basically creating a very small enclosure. Because the airspace is so small it works like a much stiffer spring. This would probably let the speaker handle a bit more before it bottoms out. It would not change the amount of power it can handle until the wire inside the speaker burns out. Anyways one of the other effects of a small sealed enclosure is that it creates a response that is much more peaky. It wont go as low but it may sound like its "hitting harder" as some would say.

I could see that maybe if there are many air leaks to where the sound can get from behind the speaker to cancel out with the sound coming from the front it may help even more. If you would like the sound like that i dunno. You could try it then if you dont like it then just cut out the deadener where it covers up the holes and no harm done. Just dont cover any ventilation holes that help to cool the speaker. Sorry for the rambling.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

This is, by far, the worst idea ever.