Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

kinda stumped

Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
starky34
94 Accord Lx 5-speed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kinda stumped

Okay so I am having an on and off problem with my system. First let me tell you what I have in the car.

Alpine head unit cda 9855
Alpine 4 channel amp
6x9 alpine type r speakers
12" alpine type e sub

so heres the problem...I turn on my car and everything turns on for about 2 seconds then the rear speakers and the sub turn off (that's what's hooked up to the 4 channel amp). I checked the amp to see if the power turns off but it does not. So I was thinking that maybe there is something wrong with the amp(of course.)

All of the settings are within the speakers range so I don't think that that's the problem and the RCA's seem to be good cuz I'm getting sound for a couple of seconds each time I turn the car on. Power cables are ran down opposite side of RCA's and as I already said amp is getting power the entire time. So I'm pretty stumped at this point...I have a couple of older amps that work so I'm going to hook them up to see if it is the amp or not but until then I was just wondering if you guys had another suggestions as to why it is doing this.
...Thanks for the help in advance
Old 02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

What's the volume level set at when you turn the car on and this happens?? Make sure any bare wire is not frayed and is not even close to touching.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:05 PM
starky34
94 Accord Lx 5-speed

like 14 out of 32 i guess i taped everything up but i'm going to go over it more throughly tomorrow just to make sure everythings ok
Old 02-04-2007, 07:51 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

The main areas I'd be worried about are the speakers connections on the 6X9's, the box both inside and out, and at the sub.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:51 PM
starky34
94 Accord Lx 5-speed

i'm guessing that the amp is going into protect mode don't know why though
Old 02-04-2007, 05:06 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Assuming the amp is fine, two speaker wires touching will cause it to go into protect.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
starky34
94 Accord Lx 5-speed

so i found out that one of the terminals was stripped(fixed that) and also that terminal was making contact with another of the terminals so i think that's what was making the amp go into protect mode...

So i'll reinstall the amp tomorrow and all should be well...hopefully