Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

can you tell that much of difference between components and normal speakers?

Old 10-05-2002, 09:06 AM
k3ifers
k three ifers

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default can you tell that much of difference between components and normal speakers?

i have no idea, ive never heard any components. i heard i would need an amp for the components, i dont really want to spend that money, but if they will sound that much better, it might be worth it. compenents in the front and 6x9's in the back.. what amp would be best for all 4 speakers? power wise
Old 10-05-2002, 11:18 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Advantages to components:
1) Crossovers are better.
2) Each speaker plays the frequencies it was designed to.
3) Theres no 1" hole in the center of your midbass driver
4) More flexibility in tweeter placement depending on how bright you want your speakers to sound.

IMO, you don't HAVE to amp the components, but it does make them sound a lot nicer. I would say a clean 50x4 is all you need, and if you are on a budget, just leave the 6x9's running off the headunit and get a small 50x2 for the fronts.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:30 PM
08SnakeEyes08
Vince Tran....

................. of course, components speakers sound so much better, it brightens the sound depending on what u want.

AND YES, USE AN AMP FOR COMPONENTS. U CAN use ur deck power if u want, BUT WHY?? DO'NT USE DECK POWER FOR NOTHING. PRE AMPS IN DECKS ARE TRASH. get a real amp.

i'm running a dei 4500 for my speakers......... just trust me, no deck power. plz.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:21 PM
rcurley55

Originally posted by 08SnakeEyes08
PRE AMPS IN DECKS ARE TRASH. get a real amp.
Actually, the pre-amps in today's heads are pretty good...for instance the P1R from Pioneer has time alignment, 13 band, crossover, etc built in.

The amps....ahhh I heard better , but they are light years ahead of 5 years ago. A few years ago, Pioneer came out with the Mosfet amps in the heads that were pretty powerful. I'd say that you can get away with an amp in the head so long as it has a cross-over on it, and you plan on adding a sub...then you can get pretty good results, even on the stock honda speakers.

If you are going with entry-level components, I think that head power is fairly acceptable if you are responsible with the tone and volume controls...if you are getting high-end comps, amp them...your ears will be happier.
Old 10-05-2002, 08:22 PM
97teg

This shop had a poineer unit playing some rainbow speakers and then he switched it to an arc amp and sound stage was soo much deeper and sound was all around cleaner. I was really surprised and the difference. I have always been a fan of having an amp on the highs.
Old 10-07-2002, 02:34 PM
mobius

components are made to cover wider ranges of frequencies at louder db's. lots of people make the mistake of putting the tweeter too far away from it's midrange partner and the imaging gets all screwed up. if installed properly, a component set will sound 300 % better than most speakers. 2 and 3 way speakers are good, but you can't run more than 50 watts to most of them. To get them loud means distortion (usually).....crossovers are the key there in combination with power.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:42 AM
mizturyous
Terd Furgeson

And not to mention your staging will be optimal using components. You can pretty much adjust the focal point of the sound. Instead of it souding like it is all over the place you can center the sound like it is supposed to be.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM
OblivionLord

Imaging depends on the type of music your listening to.

When you goto a rock, rap, metal concert.. they put speakers all around the room so everyone can hear it at a loud volume. I never went to a concert that played this type of music that had great imaging where you actually hear the vocalist up front with nothing in the back. Only time I hear this type of music with imaging concentration would be at an unpluged concert or the sort.

When you listen to classical, jazz, soft rock etc etc.. then its more concentrated. This doesn't sudjest that even this music doesn't play all around at concerts.

Speaker displacement in my car is all around to make it sound like headphones.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:46 PM
TTT

Don't forget guys, most of the decent coaxials today will allow you to adjust the tweeter to the direction you want it, so I wouldn't say that this is an advantage to the components. Also, with coaxials, the sound is coming from one point only, as it would in an ideal setup. They are a ton easier to install also.

What it really comes down to is if you have installed the speaker correctly. I bet a correctly installed 15 dollar Pyramid speaker will sound better than a 500 dollar state of the art speaker that was hurried in and not set up properly. No matter what you choose to do, take the time and do it right. It will sound 100 times better that way.

With all that said, I think generally a properly installed component set sounds better than a properly installed coaxial.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:29 AM
mizturyous
Terd Furgeson

Originally Posted by OblivionLord
Imaging depends on the type of music your listening to.

When you goto a rock, rap, metal concert.. they put speakers all around the room so everyone can hear it at a loud volume. I never went to a concert that played this type of music that had great imaging where you actually hear the vocalist up front with nothing in the back. Only time I hear this type of music with imaging concentration would be at an unpluged concert or the sort.
That is sort of an irrelevent comparison of sorts. How can you compare the acoustics of a rock concert to sound imaging in a car? The whole purpose of a concert like that is for it to just be loud. Sound quality is not hardly a thought in that process. In a car ytou should have imaging and sound quality. Unless you are one of those who like it distorted and sounding like "ass"