Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

dead battery but...

Old 10-04-2002, 08:09 AM
93acuraviga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dead battery but...

This whole past week i've been having to jump my car in the morning (it's also just started getting colder outside) and finally today i let it charge for a while and it still wont start. My lights and stereo still work fine though on aux, it just wont start... it doesnt even crank. I have both amps hooked up and dont have a cap yet, but is this normal? i guess i'll pull the battery and take it in to test, any suggestions though? might it be something else besides the battey?? thanks--
Old 10-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Where do you have the remote wire hooked up to on the amps? Are you interior lights left on? Other than that I'm guessing the battery just needs replacement.
Old 10-04-2002, 09:44 AM
McIntosh'd UA5
got VIP?

do you frequently play your system with the engine OFF? and if you do, do you normally drive your car for long distances afterwards or a lot of short ones? it could be that you are not fully recharging the battery so the level just goes lower and lower, instead of working from FULL. or just old battery.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:29 AM
LjN_728

how long have u had ur battery? is there enough sulfuric acid in the battery? sometimes ur battery's as good as dead when there's no more liquid. just becareful when checking cuz it'll burn a hole in ur shirt.

but yea...find out how long have u had the battery and see if it's still covered under warranty. if not, just buy a new battery. i doubt it's the altenator.
Old 10-04-2002, 10:31 AM
seth90dx

Might be the alternator! how manny watts you runin and what kind of car? Nvm I see you have 550 watts and a 93 vigor.... well im not sure what kind of volt rating your alternating current generator produces. But it sounds to me like the system is getting all the juce! look, the battery plays a 550 watt stereo... but it cant start your car! whats wrong with this picture? There are two possibilities... 1 you need a new starter.... 2 the alternator is barley makin enough power to suport the motor and system so the battery is plain not recharging! so if you stop and play the system then it "eats" all the battery power. So when you try and start your car there is no juce left! get it? :thumbup:
Old 10-05-2002, 08:02 AM
93acuraviga

thanks for the help guys-- I took in my old battery (it was like 4 years old by the way) in to sears and tested it, it was dead, so they gave me a new one at a discount since it was under warranty. But there's still a problem, I took it home and put the new battery in and the car still wont start! The lights and stereo and everything still work but no turnover. So I dont know if it's the starter or maybe, maybe my old alarm thats still in there. It is a APS500 Prestige and it was there when i bought my car, but it was having problems so i thought i disconnected it... but it does have a starter kill feature but i'm not sure if this would be the problem or not??? also i'm not even sure if it has a backup battery or not, i had the old battery out for at least 2 hours and the backup probably wouldnt have lasted that long right?? anyways any help would be great guys thanks! even just tell me where to find the damn alarm or how to permanently disconnect it. thanks--
Old 10-05-2002, 05:32 PM
08SnakeEyes08
Vince Tran....

Originally posted by seth90dx
Might be the alternator! how manny watts you runin and what kind of car? Nvm I see you have 550 watts and a 93 vigor.... well im not sure what kind of volt rating your alternating current generator produces. But it sounds to me like the system is getting all the juce! look, the battery plays a 550 watt stereo... but it cant start your car! whats wrong with this picture? There are two possibilities... 1 you need a new starter.... 2 the alternator is barley makin enough power to suport the motor and system so the battery is plain not recharging! so if you stop and play the system then it "eats" all the battery power. So when you try and start your car there is no juce left! get it? :thumbup:
lol... 550 watts and u think its because of 550 watts?? my cat could run 550 with no effects. LOL. the 93 vigor has 90 amp alt. i think. my del sol has 80 amps i thinking. well if 550 watts can't be supported by a 90 amp alternator, theres no way it should handle the 1400 watts my 2 amps push. well, my car runs perfect with no dimming, and never had a problem starting it.

i wouldn't settle for some cheap sears battery. i'd go with optima yellow top if ur a car fanatic like me, or go with a optima red top for ur cold winters and it'll last 4 times longer then standard batterys.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:43 PM
PnX-R

Since you put in a new battery and it still doesn't start. It's gotta have something to do with your starter. Make sure that your battery connections are clean and the starter connections also. Make sure that the starter also has a clean ground and that it isn't loose. Because the starter circuit goes from the battery to the starter and back to ground.