Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Should I be worried or not? Headlights dim when head unit set close to max volume...

Old 12-01-2006, 07:15 AM
JerryS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I be worried or not? Headlights dim when head unit set close to max volume...

Here's my setup:

'94 Honda Accord
Kenwood Amp: KAC-X542
Kenwood DVD Reciever: XXV-05V
Kenwood Powered Subwoofer: KSC-SW1
SPL CP15 15 Farad Capacitor
Kicker CK44 - Kicker 4 Gauge 4 Channel Amplifier Kit
Yellow Top Optima Battery

It's been several months since I had the system installed and yes, it was silly of me for using such a large capacitor but got it new...cheap. Anyways, as far as i can tell, I never noticed the lights dim until recently. It's not very noticiable unless you have the volume close to or at max and actually shinning the light on something to notice the small dimming of the headlights when the bass kicks in. If you are just staring right at it, you wouldn't notice it dim. Should I be worried since I hardly drive at night and usually don't play the stero at max?

Oh, would this be a problem? Instead of hooking the powered subwoofer to the battery, I have it hooked up to the main relay in the engine bay (before the main fuse box). I don't think the powered subwoofer is the problem but can't hurt to tell all how the installation was done. Any who, would it hurt to have the power souce hooked up to the capicitor instead or just have it connected to the battery?

Your inputs and comments are welcome.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:54 AM
b00gers

A cap is NOT a power source for the amp. You want the powerered subwoofer wired directly to the battery with a fuse close to the battery. I dont know know how thick the wire is to your main relay. If the lights dim, that just means that the subwoofer is drawing more power than your alternator / battery can supply at the moment. When the light is on, and you are at idle...your alternator is producing the least power. So the power used to power the lights is diverted to the subwoofer for that small moment causing it to dim.

But if you are only experiencing this at near max levels...which you are rarely at, I wouldnt worry too much.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:54 AM
flyromeo3

capacitor is just another battery that stores energy.
I'd connect the powered amp directly to the battery. ( run the wire )
Old 12-01-2006, 08:51 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Why are playing it at max volume anyway?? Care to have some music with that distortion???
Old 12-01-2006, 08:55 AM
JerryS

Originally Posted by b00gers
A cap is NOT a power source for the amp. You want the powerered subwoofer wired directly to the battery with a fuse close to the battery. I dont know know how thick the wire is to your main relay. If the lights dim, that just means that the subwoofer is drawing more power than your alternator / battery can supply at the moment. When the light is on, and you are at idle...your alternator is producing the least power. So the power used to power the lights is diverted to the subwoofer for that small moment causing it to dim.

But if you are only experiencing this at near max levels...which you are rarely at, I wouldnt worry too much.
I believe the wire size to the main relay is 4 gauge and the powered subwoofer wire itself is about 10 or 12 gauge. I don't believe I had the dimming problem before hooking up the amp but... to be on the safe side, when it does get warmer out, I'll rewire it to the battery instead.

And yes, I know the the cap is not a power source but since it has the availabe juice, I figure it will suppliment the small power lost.

Thanks for your input man.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
JerryS

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
capacitor is just another battery that stores energy.
I'd connect the powered amp directly to the battery. ( run the wire )
Thanks...
Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 AM
JerryS

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Why are playing it at max volume anyway?? Care to have some music with that distortion???
Actually, there wasnt much distortion... but had it up for testing and to "impress" a buddy who always brags about his system, etc...
Old 12-01-2006, 10:31 AM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

don't try to "impress" your buddy like that too often, you can really damage your equipment

Originally Posted by JerryS
Actually, there wasnt much distortion... but had it up for testing and to "impress" a buddy who always brags about his system, etc...
Old 12-01-2006, 08:10 PM
JerryS

Originally Posted by burnrubber
don't try to "impress" your buddy like that too often, you can really damage your equipment
Got it... I was joking about the "impressing" bit... more so testing.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:15 PM
AJē06

Originally Posted by b00gers

**Ding Ding**

Correct. Stock alternator Im assuming...