Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alarm/Power locks question

Old 10-01-2002, 03:58 PM
Ochdx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm/Power locks question

About two years ago a guy hooked up an alarm and a set of door locks into my 95 Civic DX coupe. The alarm is a hornet, and the door locks are these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=330-010
(on a side note, I can't believe that bastad charged me $150 for the door locks alone, they are $4 each, grr). Anyhow, these door locks are only activated by the alarm remote control and when I turn the car on and off. He never installed a switch on the door and I am thinking about hooking one up myself. I'm not sure how to do it. To my understanding, the pulleys are somehow hooked up to the alarm, which sends power to the pulleys when I press the button. How do I get a separate switch to send the power to pulleys?

Also, I understand it reverses voltage to push/pull. Does it mean that my switch will have to reverse both phases or just send either positive or negative voltage on one phase and the other will be fixed? If so, is it fixed with positive or negative?
Old 10-03-2002, 06:08 AM
Ochdx

Old 10-03-2002, 06:54 AM
phat99accord
BMW Tech

well he pretty much charged you for the labor.
but that actuator works by the ground being connected. you pretty much only have to find the negative lead splice into it w/ a momentary push button switch.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Ochdx

Originally posted by phat99accord
well he pretty much charged you for the labor.
but that actuator works by the ground being connected. you pretty much only have to find the negative lead splice into it w/ a momentary push button switch.
I see. But it says reverse voltage to push/pull. To my understanding ground and negative in a car is the same, right? But the actuator has 2 wires connecting to it, what are they?
Old 10-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Dunbar

That labor wasn't unreasonable, it's difficult to mount the motors and run the wires through the factory grommet...The motors work by reversing the polarity - meaning which side of the motor sees 12V (the other seeing ground.) You need either a DPDT switch or a Honda switch wired through relays. It's not going to be easy.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:55 PM
White[Pony]
For relaxing times...

shoulda just replaced the doors with EX ones, f00. Thas what I'm doin' :thumbup:
Old 10-07-2002, 07:12 AM
Ochdx

how much are EX doors?
Old 10-07-2002, 05:47 PM
White[Pony]
For relaxing times...

:dunno: dunno. should find a junkyard with a good set of doors. Hell, they don't even have to be off the same one car. you could get a black one and a white one I'm gonna take what I can get, but they shouldn't be too much. I just figure it'll save me money and patience since I want power windows too. power mirrors couldn't hurt either, y'know.