Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

tweeter replacement

Old 10-01-2002, 08:15 AM
albee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tweeter replacement

I've been upgrading the stock audio in my 95 Accord EXR. So far I have replaced the door (with Pioneer TSA-1661) and rear deck (with Pioneer TSA-6975) speakers. That change brightened up the high freq's, but the overall sound quality still is not what I want to hear. I just ordered an Alpine CDA-7894 receiver based on recommendations in this forum. My question is, should I think about replacing the stock tweeters that are located in the dash?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:26 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

You should have started out by replacing the front speaker set with an aftermarket component set - (the woofer in the door and the tweeter in the dash) at the same time. I would say sell the pioneer door speakers and replace them with a real component set. The infinity kappas and the crystal components are both nice speakers that aren't too pricey.

By the way, what's an EXR?
Old 10-01-2002, 08:33 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yeah, what he said... also consider Polk Audio or Boston Acoustics...

An EXR is the canadian model.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:37 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Most of the newer polk audio stuff has decent midbass, but their highs sound terrible to me.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:47 AM
albee

I hear you... I was trying to go cheap by thinking that I could get away with a simple speaker change (buyer's regret sets in).
Old 10-01-2002, 08:58 AM
albee

SumAccordGuy94, I see you have subs in the trunk of your '94. How does that setup work? I mean, can you hear them when you are driving?
Old 10-01-2002, 11:48 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

Originally posted by albee
SumAccordGuy94, I see you have subs in the trunk of your '94. How does that setup work? I mean, can you hear them when you are driving?
Loud and clear! it looks a little cheesy, but if you put the rear seat down its MUCH louder... but I dont need that, the 10's I have put out plenty of sound to penetrate the seat, for my taste.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:54 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

btw- wait till you get the Alpine in the dash to decide on tweeters... you may find its ok for you with the deck replacement...

It will make a huge difference (if you are using the stock deck now) once you install the new 7894.

The tweeters in the dash really dont sound all that bad, with some power going to them... leave them hooked up with the new deck, you'll probably have to fade to the front to even out the sound. If thats still not enough, try to get rid of the front pioneers and upgrade to a decent component set.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:32 PM
albee

Thanks for the advice everybody. I'll see what difference the new receiver makes (yes, I am currently using the stock deck), and take it from there. When I picked up the Pioneers I had a thought that I could go upscale a notch or two, hoping the Honda tape deck was being choked up with the stock speakers. It turns out that the stock system is matched fairly well, and there is only so much that you can do with it.
Old 10-01-2002, 04:16 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

yeah, the stock deck puts about 10 watts to each speaker... the alpine is going to be putting 27 watts RMS, 60 watts peak to each speaker...

the stock deck does not have the power to drive aftermarket speakers well... The alpine will be more than enough... just make sure you follow the directions with the deck and DO NOT connect the yellow power lead to the factory harness... rather, use the factory supplied power taps at the fuse box. Just above the fuses (inside the car) there are 4 or 5 recessed terminals... the one closest to the firewall is the one you want... run a 12 gauge power wire from there to the yellow power wire for the deck, then ground the deck to the dashboard frame, not the harness.