Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

confusion bout component speaker install....

Old 10-27-2006, 10:00 PM
pinealean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default confusion bout component speaker install....

I am replacing my stock mids and tweets with some infinitys. The wiring is confusing me; my stock mid speaker has 4 wires running to it. I took one set of positive and negative (blue and gray w/blk) and hooked them up. The speakers did not work. I then hooked up the other blue (+) wire and it worked. So, I guess my first question is what are the 4 wires for exactly? Second, should I run the two wires that worked to my crossover inputs and run new wire to each speaker? Is there any danger in mixing the four wires? The crossover wiring is confusing me. Hope this is all makes sense. TIA
Old 10-27-2006, 11:32 PM
dleccord

what are you replacing your stock comps with?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:22 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

What kind of car?? Teg>?>
Old 10-28-2006, 03:03 PM
2001TEGGSR

I know it's a PITA, but save yourself the trouble...

Run new higher quality speaker wire from your aftermarket stereo, directly to your crossover. Components will sound much better.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:00 PM
pinealean

I got the infinity reference 6010cs. I just finished the install about 30 min ago. I shaved the baskets, fastened the ring that came with the speakers to the stock plastic mount to add depth and voila.Okay, it wasn't quite that simple, but that's the just of it. A PITA yes, but it should be worth it. After all, it only took me 6 hours lol. I have them running off of my jvc deck now, but plan on amping them soon. 98 DC2 btw.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

first off, if you are trying to run componets off of the head unit, it won't work properly. i mean it will work but it woun't sound that great, comps usually have a 100-200 rms and a HU puts out arounf 15-25 rms you are just wasting money if you don't run componets off an amp, that is what they are ment for

Last edited by burnrubber; 10-29-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

They'll be fine for the time being.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 AM
WiseGuyOnCouch
Live, Die, & Drive Fast!

Originally Posted by burnrubber
first off, if you are trying to run componets off of the head unit, it won't work properly. i mean it will work but it woun't sound that great, comps usually have a 100-200 rms and a HU puts out arounf 15-25 rms you are just wasting money if you don't run componets off an amp, that is what they are ment for
that's not entirely true, it depends mainly on the type of components. In his case, yes it's better to run higher power than made by even an aftermarket head, but some SQ comps run at a lower rms than comps(ie alpine type-r comps) made for SPL systems.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM
pinealean

Originally Posted by burnrubber
I have an amp, but just haven't installed it yet. However, these speakers sound infinitely better than the stock comps without a doubt. They are rated for 90rms and I think my amp is 300w 2 channel. I suppose I will have to turn the gains down when I do install or maybe I'll just wait for when I buy 2 rear speakers and get a 4 channel amp. Either way I'm enjoying the sound i'm getting from them for the time being.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:09 AM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

what brand amp is it, if it's not a RF, Alpine or JL, it's a 300W max so it will barely push those comps