Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Amp?

Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 PM
88'CRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp?

Alrite i got a sony CDXGT300 in my CRX with sony XSV1342A 5 1/4s in the doors and XSV1642A 6 1/4s in the back. When i turn it up to a decent loudness the sound is very distorted and sounds BAD. I was wondering if adding a 4-channel amp would fix this? I was looking at the Kenwood KAC-6402... 40 watts RMS to each channel would this be a good amp?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

yea it is a good amp, but first make sure you have the treble set al the way up bass 0 or just above and have the loudness( if on the HU) set on low or off. them check and make sure it doesn't distort. if it does turn the bass down more, if it si still there, and amp really won't make it any better
Old 10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Correction, adding an amp will power the speakers the way they we're meant to. An amp will even make Sony speakers sound good.

burnrubber, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
Correction, adding an amp will power the speakers the way they we're meant to. An amp will even make Sony speakers sound good.

yea ok, prove it
Old 10-19-2006, 03:52 PM
dleccord

Originally Posted by totalimmortal

Correction, Sony speakers do not sound good, Xplods that is. They are mediocre at best in my book. Did you mean they would sound better with an amp?
Old 10-19-2006, 03:56 PM
dleccord

Originally Posted by burnrubber
yea ok, prove it
What you really meant to say was to use the HP filters, if it is included in that Sony head unit.

Either way, buying an amp and using your filters would very much reduce distortion in your speakers at higher volumes.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 PM
88'CRX

Since you say that sony Xplods arent that good should i get a diff head unit? It wouldnt be a problem to get one for around $130 or so... what would be a good one to get for around that price...or would that sony head unit be fine with the amp?
Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

i would leave the HU and get different speakers. i used to have a $100 pioneer HU and it powered Fockford Fosgate speakers and it sounded pretty good. hu doesn't really matter, it's the speakers
Old 10-19-2006, 04:45 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

There is no hope for you. A head unit makes just as much difference as speakers do, hence the reason that Alpine radios sound better than Pioneer. Adding an amp will allmost double the amount of RMS power being sent to the speakers, making the music sound much fuller and richer. Making even Sony speakers sound OK.

If you add an amp to the Sony radio, the Sony radio is no longer responsible for the sound processing portion of audio reproduction. The only thing the Sony radio will be in charge of is the D/A converter, which has an effect on sound quality, and the preouts. Where the difference will be heard is switching to a radio with higher voltage preouts. In the $130 range, I can't think of any that go beyond the standard 2V preout. Now, the GT300 only has two pairs of preouts if my memory serves me right, so further expansion will be limited after adding a 4ch amp. That is, unless, you want to use RCA splitters. Buy a good Alpine 4ch, they run about $200, and you'll definatly notice a marked difference in quality of the sound.

Enough proof Burnrubber?? Shall I continue??
Old 10-19-2006, 08:18 PM
88'CRX

Would a Blaupunkt Monterrey MP35 head unit be better than the sony gt300?