Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Alarm troubles

Old 09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
2nice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm troubles

Hey guys,

Sorry for the long post but all the details are needed to get an answer....

I recently bought a pretty cheap alarm system for my car. The reason I went cheap is because I have hood locks and I really didn't need anything more other than for it to make a noise and I wanted to add power locks so I would need the alarm to unlock and lock the doors.

So I took it to a place to get installed and he said he does power locks so I was like great I want the power locks, plus I have an alarm for you to install. So I had him install all the stuff and about a week later the alarm wasn't responding so I took it back to him...and he took out the fuse for the alarm...put it back in and everything worked perfectly.......Yesterday...my lights started flashing once I would hit the steering wheel or turn it hard and would sometimes trigger the alarm. I was like WTF is going on?

Today I went into my car to get something and my doors were unlocked and I had the driver’s side door open (luckily) and the door locks locked themselves. I didn’t think too much of it so I went back inside and a little later planned to go out and tried to use my alarm remote to open the door, and it wasn't responding. So I then tried to use my key to unlock the door and it was SEIZED. I then opened my trunk and LUCKILY the back seat wasn’t locked and I entered through my trunk SMH.

I then took back the car to the place, and he opened up the door and checked a few things and said that my alarm was cheap and that the reason the door locks don’t work is because they are blown and they are blown because my alarm blew it. He went on to say that the module for the alarm (for my alarm alone apparently) and door lock module were connected together...and once one blew they both blew. My alarm still works mind you.

My question is is this guy trying to take me?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:04 PM
orbit77

what kind of car is it? and what kind of alarm? does your car have a factory alarm or is it key with a chip in it?

how long was the car alarmed till the car doors locked? most alarms have something called passive alarming so when the doors are closed for a set time the car will arm itself and locks the doors.

did he add power locks to your door or just simply add the lock feature to your alarm? it sounds that he should of read his tech notes before tapping into your lock switches.

also what shop did you take it to and what alarms are they authourized to work on. at the shops i've worked at we never installed anything that we didn't sell so we know our product.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:23 PM
2nice

93 civic. Bulldog alarm. No factory alarm.

how long was the car alarmed till the car doors locked?
it wasnt armed....it was unarmed.

he added the power locks and installed the alarm that i bought somewhere else.

not sure what he's authorized to do...he sells Compustars