Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

subwoofer question

Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
autofreak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default subwoofer question

I'm new to all this car audio stuff (i'm a noobie) and i wanted to install a subwoofer into my car. My question is do I also need an amplifier to go along with the subwoofer? And another question is would i be able to mount the subwoofer on to the rear deck of my sedan without a box and all that stuff?

Thank 4 your time,
Alex
Old 08-17-2006, 06:12 PM
b00gers

All speakers need some sort of power source. You will need an amp for the subwoofer.

There are different types of subwoofers. You have subs that requires sealed enclosures, some that require an infinite baffle, and other that will require some sort of free air environment.

You can mount the a sub on the rear deck just fine. You just have to make sure that the air space in front of the woofer is completely isolated from the air space behind the subwoofer. THen you will have yourself an infinite baffle environment for the sub. Some things you might run into...make sure you have enough space behind the sub and be aware that your rear deck will flex and make noise.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:16 PM
autofreak

Thx for your help but this poses another question, in order to achieve the air space stuff what do i need to do?
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM
b00gers

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes1.asp

Check out that link.

You have to separate the air space that is in front of the woofer from the air space that is behind the woofer. That means that the rear deck must be sealed off. Many time there are small holes or things like that. They will allow for the air to come over to the other space and cause cancellation.

How big of a woofer are you using? Why do you want to mount it on the deck. I ask because its just easier to find a woofer that will take a small box if space is an issue. I know eD has a shallow sub that only needs a small enclosure.
http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthre...7&page=1&pp=10

It only needs a .3 - .5 cubic feet enclosure. Thats really small.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:28 PM
autofreak

Well i guess it seems easier to just use a box and put it in the trunk and not on the deck. The reason i wanted to mount it on the deck was to make it look as stock as possible and so that the sound would be channelled towards the interior rather than the outside (cars around me) . I'm still shopping for a subwoofer but i just wanted to know all the facts and installation instructions before i bought one. I'm a noob so just bare with me. Thanks a lot b00gers.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:49 PM
b00gers

Mounting a sub on a rear deck would be far from stock. I mean you will have to cut a 10" hole in the sheet metal h: But having an enclosure in a sealed trunk will have no problems directing the sound waves into the car. I have a sealed trunk and have no complaints.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
autofreak

What did u use to seal your trunk?
Old 08-20-2006, 12:12 AM
dleccord

gorilla glue?
Old 08-20-2006, 11:47 AM
b00gers

I think he means to seal off the trunk from the cabin.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:21 PM
dleccord

Originally Posted by b00gers
I think he means to seal off the trunk from the cabin.
Gorilla glue would work then.