Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Installing Sound System On Civic 96

Old 08-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Bravo007
Civic007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Sound System On Civic 96

HI GUYS,

Im new to this and i have just recently purchased a Honda Civic 96 model which is a 4 door sedan... Im in love with this car and the best ride ive had!

I have just recently also purchased the JVC Exad DVD headunit which has the 3.5" screen with subwoofer and amp... Could someone please help me or tell me what would be the best way to install the headunit and get the wiring from the front to the back of the car??? and also how to remove the dash first to replace the headunit...

To be honest i would like to learn these things and would hate to pay for it to be done!

Hope to hear from someone soon cos i cant wait to install it, my email is jtmarcus@tpg.com.au any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Johnny.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
dleccord

buy another harness and cut the wires from the harness. splice them. buy yourself some wires and extend those to the back.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:42 PM
FrozenAcid

when you run the wires for the amp, try your hardest to keep the power wires and the RCA cables away from each other. My power wires are ran on the passenger side, while the RCA cables are on the driver side. This way the RCAs dont pick up crosstalk from the power cables.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:01 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by dleccord
buy another harness and cut the wires from the harness. splice them. buy yourself some wires and extend those to the back.
Why?

I think he means getting the RCA and remote turn on wire to the back of the car where the amps are.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Bravo007
Civic007

Hey guys,

Yer, i thought of buying another wiring harness from an auto store and that way it'll make things easier... But ive been reading that this is going to be alot of work for removing the whole dash and running the cables down under! Also, i read somewhere that because the stock radio has anti-theft on it... that the after market unit might not work properlly or i might lose the central locking on the car or something like that, is that true?

I will be pulling the car apart soon, so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks again guys,

Johnny.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:10 PM
b00gers

Bravo, it depends on the car. I remember some Civics have the anti-theft and some other stuff routed into the headunit or the headunit harness. I think there was a special harness you can buy.

Run a search, I remember reading about it before but didnt pay too much attention because it didnt apply to me.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM
VPUPPY

If you have honda keyless entry or a honda security system, you need a t harness. Circuit city - METRA 80-1720T or Best buy - METRA 70-1720T <- thats the part number you should get form either store. Just stick your old radio in dash and keep it plugged into this harness and you will be good to go. Common place to put the factory radio is behind the cup holders...you may need to remove the center console.

Last edited by VPUPPY; 08-18-2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:29 PM
b00gers

Originally Posted by VPUPPY
If you have honda keyless entry or a honda security system, you need a t harness. Circuit city - METRA 80-1720T or Best buy - METRA 70-1720T <- thats the part number you should get form either store. Just stick your old radio in dash and keep it plugged into this harness and you will be good to go. Common place to put the factory radio is behind the cup holders...you may need to remove the center console.
Do people just stick it in there? Or do they mount it somehow?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
dleccord

i thought he wanted to relocate the radio to the back.

reading>me
Old 08-19-2006, 06:15 AM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by b00gers
Do people just stick it in there? Or do they mount it somehow?
Ya, you just stick it back there. Its pretty tight once you get in there, so its not really going to move. I usually take off the face of the old radio just to make it fit easier.