Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

amp question

Old 07-31-2006, 02:49 PM
Tyler88
sinking steps rising eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp question

So i have a t1000.1 rockford fosgate that draws 100 amps will this work with my stock 2001 accord ex 4cylinder or do i have to get a new one or would just getting a new battery solve it??
Old 07-31-2006, 04:35 PM
mishqua

Originally Posted by Tyler88
So i have a t1000.1 rockford fosgate that draws 100 amps will this work with my stock 2001 accord ex 4cylinder or do i have to get a new one or would just getting a new battery solve it??
Yep its time to get a new Accord . Assuming the amp isn't really drawing (100amps) You should be fine, If your amp does draw a 100 amps(unlikly) it'll shut down your car damn near. I would do the electrical upgrade (big 3).
Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Tyler88

Thanks. Srry about the confusion i was falling asleep....
Old 07-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Tyler88

So would it be possible to have this amp run with the 80amp alt and a stock battery without major problems ie car not starting
Old 07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
b00gers

Its a big amp for a Honda. At full power, itll be robbing power from everything. I wouldnt even suggest bumping the system while the engine is not running, I'd imagine itll drain the battery pretty quick.

If you are familiar with the Big 3 wire upgrade, do it. If not, search on this board for it, then do it.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
mishqua

After you do the big 3, You might want to run a 2nd battery to the trunk(optima). This with a little extra wiring can be a great setup. Most people go the wrong way with runnning dual batteries. This is more expensive but isolates all of your amp power away from the cars main electrical power,this is good as your head lights or anything for that matter will never dim or lose power unless your battery is fried up front.

If ya want to know how to do it just let me know .
Old 08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
mishqua

!.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM
97teg

A second battery will do nothing if your drawing more then what the alternator can provide. Youll eventually still kill both batteries. It will just take longer.

If the amp will work or not will depend on the current draw at your normal listening levels. If its loud enough and only drawing a little bit then it will be fine. If your running it at full vol all the time it may pull enough to be a problem.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:27 PM
mishqua

Originally Posted by 97teg
A second battery will do nothing if your drawing more then what the alternator can provide. Youll eventually still kill both batteries. It will just take longer.

If the amp will work or not will depend on the current draw at your normal listening levels. If its loud enough and only drawing a little bit then it will be fine. If your running it at full vol all the time it may pull enough to be a problem.
Thats why I said most people wire it wrong. If done correctly It is imposible to drain the front battery as its not powering the amps at all. The only power that would come off the front battery is the power to the head unit. Stringing two battery together in parllel bad plan, Isolating both battery's is the way to go thats why I said it cost more.

Tyler88 any more info on this sub just PM me.

Last edited by mishqua; 08-01-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:25 PM
97teg

Ok lets see. You have two batteries and one is isloated right? Ok well since one battery isnt being charged it will be drained relatively fast because there is not as much coming in as going out right? So the second battery dies. But you have another battery to start the car right? So you flip the switch and can still get the car started. Thats all well and good but as soon as the stereo turns on and and starts drawing more power then the alternator can supply it starts draining the starter battery correct? So soon you have two dead batteries and no way to keep them charged.

I am not trying to argue so please tell me if I am wrong or not.

I am going off the diagram found here:
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

Last edited by 97teg; 08-01-2006 at 05:27 PM.