Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

mounting amp on box

Old 07-12-2006, 08:47 AM
flyromeo3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mounting amp on box

is it safe to mount the amp on the subwoofer enclosure?
Certainly I plan on placing a small board on the box and then screwing the amp onto that. Maybe put rubber spacers in between to limit the vibration.
Is it ok to do it?
Old 07-12-2006, 09:16 AM
b00gers

I have no problem doing it. If it is a decelty build box and a decently built amp, I cant imagine any problems. If you have a huge box without braces made of .50" particle board...then I the vibrations and flexing from the box might damage the amp in the long run :dunno:
Old 07-12-2006, 03:02 PM
mishqua

Make sure you mount it on the side, as a big box with the amp mounted on top can overheat easy. Reason being its to close to the lid of the trunk, you will have the sun beating down on it asid from the heat being generated from the amp.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:50 PM
angelgabe
Do-It-Yourselfer

I wouldn't recomend it simply cause if you ever- for any reason need to throw something large into your trunk, removal of the subwoofers would be alot more complicated. Also, if you don't bolt down your sub box all the movement will loosten your ground connection. I know drilling holes in your car might sound scary, but its probably your best bet.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:14 PM
Nors
倍力恋

And if someone happens to break into your car, they get everything in one grab. Which is never good.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:53 PM
foefinga

"And if someone happens to break into your car, they get everything in one grab. Which is never good."

i agree with that. i have my amp mounted to my back seat

Last edited by foefinga; 07-12-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM
HONDA_driven
got vtec?

Default Yes their can be a FIRE HAZARD!!!!

Yes you can mount the amp to the top or the side of your prefabricated sub enclosure. BUT... make sure your box is securely mounted to the trunk flor!!!!! if the box shifts and the 12volt primary power supply comes out of the amp and touches metal in the trunk it will short and arc, thus making your trunk a fire hazard!
Old 07-20-2006, 05:51 AM
dleccord

Originally Posted by Nors
And if someone happens to break into your car, they get everything in one grab. Which is never good.
thats why your box should weigh 110+ pounds and be as big as fvck use some hex screws on the amps as well