Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

suggestions on bolting down equipment?

Old 07-10-2006, 09:31 AM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestions on bolting down equipment?

alright, i may sound paranoid here but my accord got brutally messed up a few weeks ago... my door got wrecked, window smashed and my head unit, sub and amp taken. Now my cars in the shop getting the door painted as we speak, and i'm ready to put a new system in it this week when i get it back. My question is, how would i go about bolting all the equipment down? such as the sub and the head unit? I got an alarm installed, and i'm putting my new amp under the passenger seat. But the stereo and sub is what i'm not sure how to do...
Old 07-10-2006, 10:38 AM
jumpman83

Headunit kind of is what it is, if the car doesn't have a spot to put screws in to the spots on the side of the headunit, then you're either SOL, or going to have to get creative with fiberglass, plexiglass, wood or sheet metal to put a panel in there you can put said screws through. For everything in your trunk, you put a big ass heavy piece of wood that barely fits in there, put the carpet over that and then screw everything down to that. You'll need brackets for the woofer. If you're feeling really ambitious you can even screw that piece of wood down to the metal in the trunk.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 AM
b00gers

There are many ways of doing it. It is really up to your imagination. Anything that we suggest...most likely a theif knows about it also. Heck, one can be reading this post right now. Just remember that the only thing these things will do is a slow down a theif. But it might be enough for you to save your equipment.

Many people use a strap to bolt down their headunit. In the rear of most head units there is a hole that can house a bolt. Many people will run a strap in there, then tie it down to the chassis. This will keep the headunit from being able to pull out with the keys. You will need to undo the strap first, then pull it out in order to remove it. I did this for my friends car. I installed about 2-3 feet worth of the strap onto the back. The strap I got from a hardware store. It just needs to be metal and be flexible. You can buy them with holes in it. Then I installed the headunit with the strap hanging down. Then I ran the strap tight down to part of a chassis. And I bolted the strap there. Then I put all the dash pieces back.

For the subwoofer box, theres a few ways of doing that also. You can just take your box and use some L-brackets and attach it to the chassis, NOT the piece of wood that the box sits on. Or you can do it the more difficult way...take your sub box and remove the woofer out. From the INSIDE of the box, drill a hole and run a bolt through it and into the chassis. Then put the sub back into the box. This makes removing the box much more difficult and time consuming. But be sure to seal up any holes you have.

*Be aware of what you are drilling into, especially while in the trunk. You dont want to drill into the gas tank.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:01 PM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

Thanks guys... all i really need is something to slow them down. I have a two-way pager alarm now, and a baseball bat. So by that time i should be at the car kickin some ass
Old 07-10-2006, 08:41 PM
b00gers

Yea, theives...gotta hate them.

I see that empty panel next to the clock now. I think it would make a good spot. I am guessing its for an IPOD or something?