Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

plumber's foam

Old 06-22-2006, 01:39 AM
jumpman83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plumber's foam

Someone told me that plumber's foam can be sprayed into the ribbing of the trunk, back sides of panels, inside weather stripping, and under carpet and so forth, and it will do just as well as dynamat. Opinions? BTW, this is what I'm talking about:

http://www.qcsupply.com/Products/243...Dap+Quick+Foam
Old 06-22-2006, 06:50 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

If you can be careful with it, it can good for SMALL parts on interior panels that may be hitting against metal. It takes time, you have to spray it and let it expand then sand it down so the panel will fit again. It's not the easiest way of doing things. I wouldn't reccomend it for large projects.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:35 AM
mishqua

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
If you can be careful with it, it can good for SMALL parts on interior panels that may be hitting against metal. It takes time, you have to spray it and let it expand then sand it down so the panel will fit again. It's not the easiest way of doing things. I wouldn't reccomend it for large projects.
he's dead on, When the foam expands it can crack a weld.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:46 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

That stuff has some force behind it for just being foam.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM
jumpman83

Woah... damn... Guess I'm not doing that. I'm just trying to think of alternatives to dynamat that could be cheaper. I know, if you're going to do it, do it right, but I'm poor. So on that note, what about putting fiberfill behind any panel that has room behind it, or housing insulation or something like that? Just going to make the car incredibly hot or could it actually do something?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:10 AM
mishqua

Originally Posted by jumpman83
Woah... damn... Guess I'm not doing that. I'm just trying to think of alternatives to dynamat that could be cheaper. I know, if you're going to do it, do it right, but I'm poor. So on that note, what about putting fiberfill behind any panel that has room behind it, or housing insulation or something like that? Just going to make the car incredibly hot or could it actually do something?
Do a search here there are alot of options. Last couple of days there were a bunch of alternitves to dynamat there web sites were posted.