Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

How do you know when speakers are going bad?

Old 06-20-2006, 08:57 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you know when speakers are going bad?

The other day while I was driving home from work, my speakers started to 'skip' where the sound was starting to become staticky and that sometimes it wouldn't play sound at all (sometimes just from one speaker).

Though the problem wasn't consistent, it'll start up again every once in a while. Is this a sign of my speakers going bad?

It happens with both the radio and playing CD's and it happens to both speakers (I only have two in the doors of my civic dx).

This is with a Kenwood deck and kenwood 6.5" speakers in the doors.

If it is the speakers, are there any recommendations that you guys have for new speakers? Nothing extravagant, but not bare bones either. Just something nice for an okay price (I don't mind paying a little more as long as it lasts longer and sounds good).
Old 06-20-2006, 09:06 PM
b00gers

How old are the speakers? I am assuming that they were working fine before and you havent made any recent changes to your system?

Whats your budget?
Old 06-20-2006, 09:38 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally Posted by b00gers
How old are the speakers? I am assuming that they were working fine before and you havent made any recent changes to your system?

Whats your budget?
I haven't done anything to the audio aspect of the car. Speakers are probably a couple of years old, maybe 3.

As for budget... not sure, probably nothing more than 150 or so for a pair of 6.5" speakers.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

It could be your factory wiring going bad, or a lose connection. Go over everything because i doubt kenwood speakers would go after 3 years...
Old 06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
jumpman83

Originally Posted by Shallow_Bay
It could be your factory wiring going bad, or a lose connection. Go over everything because i doubt kenwood speakers would go after 3 years...
That's what I was about to say, it sounds like connection to me. If all else fails, run it on a home stereo with a known good wire. If it runs without distortion, your speaker is probably fine. Press on the back of the cone (even pressure on both sides, and not hard) and look and make sure the dampener is moving and contracting properly. When you do that, listen for a scratching sound. If the speaker plays without distortion, the dampener moves and contracts properly, and the voice coil doesn't make a scratching sound when you move the cone by hand, They're fine and it's most likely wiring shorting out or a connection coming loose.