Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

stereo theft precautions?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo theft precautions?

alright, my 94 accord has been broken into and the stereo stolen twice now... unfortunately, they had to smash my whole door in recently, taking the headunit, sub and amp. now, i need some precautions on the best ways to prevent anything from getting taken easily. i'm installing an alarm, but for some reason i dont think that's gonna do the justice. any ideas for this? including preventing the sub and amp to get taken...
Old 05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
ewood87
Eric Wood

an alarm will do wonders.

99% of thiefs wont even bother if the car has an alarm, unless the car has some extremely valuable stuff (very high end stereo equipment, motor swap, rims, racing seats, guages).. and really if they want it bad enough, nothing is going to stop them.

the next step would be physical barriers like shaved door handles, shaved key holes, steering wheel club, pedal locks, removable face plate. but even then its just a slow down, and when a thief has all night to work on getting your car.. if they want it bad enough -- its theres. sounds harsh but it is very true.

Last edited by ewood87; 05-30-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:59 AM
ProjectG2

Unfortunately, I had the same thing happen to me over the winter. I had to park the teg outside for a week or so... They took out the driver's side window. They took a the subs/amp - left the head unit (faceplate!).

1) Security system (cheap, but it does the job). The last thing a thief wants is attention.
2) Best thing you can do with the head unit, is a removable faceplate and a good place to put it.
3) If you're not too worried about weight, throw a 1/2" piece of plywood below your back carpet and SCREW your box/amp to the floor. Just remember, your spare's under there - so keep a screwdriver around.

But, like ewood87 stated, these are just deterrents.
Old 06-10-2006, 07:22 PM
splinter00

thats what i did, i put some 1/2" plywood under the carpet in my hatch, so you cant even move the sub-box or amp there both screwed down, and i do have an alarm, but like they have said, an alarm defenitly does help, a club, a detachable faceplate, and if you dont got an ararm, get a flashing led light, they would probably do wonders as well.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:16 PM
samatronz_182
idiot.

go to pick and pull and get some back door handles, and put them on your car (no key holes) and they can be painted to match relatively cheap.(you'll need a car alarm to do all the locking and unlocking) Also my friend has 2 car alarms on his car. So if they think they got one off, the second is sure to freak them out. I also shortened the battery cables on my car so its harder for them to get to them from under my hood to cut off the alarm. good luck I know how frustrating it is. Im still determined to grab my bat one morning when my alarm is going off and kicking some ass.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 PM
1995.5passport

BOLT the amps/boxes to the floor... also use retaining straps on the back of the CD player so they cant take that either
Old 06-19-2006, 07:52 PM
Shallow_Bay
teh accord guy

Originally Posted by samatronz_182
Im still determined to grab my bat one morning when my alarm is going off and kicking some ass.
fricken right on man... nothing would feel better than kicking the crap out of the scum who stole your shit