Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

kill switch help!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 10:06 PM
partyboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kill switch help!!!

hey guys.. yesterday iinstalled a fuel pump kill switch in my car... I flipped the switch both ways and the car still starts up fine either way...Why is it doing this??
I forgot to disconnect the negative part of the battery before i installed it but i took it off this morning and put it back on after 10 seconds... what could be wrong???

thanks guys....
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 PM
b00gers

You made a mistake with the switch. It is wired incorrectly, or you have the wrong type of switch.

Can you post a pic of the switch and how it is wired?
Old 05-26-2006, 05:36 AM
delsol161

i accidently did that two months ago on my ECU kill switch. disconnect the wires from the switch, retrace your wires (to ensure good connections). make sure that u have a proper switch compared to your ampreage. you can burn out those cheap ass walmart switches like that if it doesn't match what u need. once you know the wires aren't the problem, make sure you used the correct prongs on the switch. is it two or three prong? if it's three, you want to run ont wire through the ground prong, and one through the accessory (i'm pretty sure). juss play with it till it works.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:32 PM
partyboi

im sure the wires have good connections... i think the switch may have broke... i played with it before and i made the hole a little bigger..(the part where the wires go into)..
im gonna get a new switch.. ill let u guys know.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:40 PM
sxng9

the easy way to know for sure that you have tapped the right wire is that when you cut it and then try to start the car, it should stall. If it stalls, then you cut the right wire, if not then you need to re-check all the wires & look for the right one.

once you found the right wire and the car stalls when you try to turn the car on, then you apply the switch to both ends of the wires. it doesn't get any easier than this and you don't need to ground anything, assuming that it's a simple fuel cut-off switch.

if it's a complex one like mines, then you'll need a relay, a constant 12v power source & ground and also on my car, as an added security feature, I carry an RFID card in my pocket, so that if a theif happen to drive my car off when i'm outside the car and the car gets outta range from the RFID card, the car will automatically stall & alarm will start blaring off.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:10 PM
mikesta21
93preludesi

Originally Posted by sxng9
the easy way to know for sure that you have tapped the right wire is that when you cut it and then try to start the car, it should stall. If it stalls, then you cut the right wire, if not then you need to re-check all the wires & look for the right one.

once you found the right wire and the car stalls when you try to turn the car on, then you apply the switch to both ends of the wires. it doesn't get any easier than this and you don't need to ground anything, assuming that it's a simple fuel cut-off switch.

if it's a complex one like mines, then you'll need a relay, a constant 12v power source & ground and also on my car, as an added security feature, I carry an RFID card in my pocket, so that if a theif happen to drive my car off when i'm outside the car and the car gets outta range from the RFID card, the car will automatically stall & alarm will start blaring off.
damn i like that one.. i wish i could get something like this.. but i dont have the courage to play aruond with my wires because it would be purely experimental-- i really dont know any really good installers that do that kind of custom work either--they really just usually offer installation of one particular brand of alarm for their own ease.