Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

96-00 Honda Civic Electrical Problems!

Old 04-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Kuttooz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96-00 Honda Civic Electrical Problems!

Hello all, again!.

As the title says, yes! more problems! I have a 2000 Honda Civic 4dr sedan and recently I went on and added a new headunit. I installed it myself and have used wire harness to connect the stereo to the OEM plug. The problem now I face is that it recieves no power what so ever. It won't turn on nor the 12 volt accessory plug that comes from the same loom of wires.

I have checked the fuses under the hood and inside the fuse panel too, but still can't figure out what is going on. I tested all the circuits at the fuse blocks and they all are getting the needed power. I checked under the hood and it read vell over 12 volt +. I checked inside the car and it seems fine too. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem? Everything else in the car is working. Heater, AC and all that stuff. Not the new headunit and the 12volt plug. please help me figure out this problem!

Thank you for all your support! thanks! and Yes! I searched most of the search engines out there! please help!

Kuttooz
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like there is an issue between the head unit and the oem harness... check your wiring again
Old 04-27-2006, 06:29 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I have noticed some manufactures have slightly off colors for their radio harnesses, but never the less I agree that it's a wiring problem. Is this your first time installing a radio??
Old 04-27-2006, 10:25 AM
Kuttooz

First time: No.

In a Civic: Yes

i'll check the wiring and tell you guys whats going on.

Kuttooz
Old 04-27-2006, 11:12 AM
orbit77

meter your harness so you figure what's not getting power so you take care of alot of the guess work. it could quite possibly be a bad ground on the harness.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Kuttooz

I'll do that. I am gonna get a new set of fuses and change all the fuses in there. I don't know man. this thing is driving me crzzzzzzzzzy.

Kuttooz
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Originally Posted by orbit77
meter your harness so you figure what's not getting power so you take care of alot of the guess work. it could quite possibly be a bad ground on the harness.
touche. Try doing a chassis ground as opposed to going through the harness. I'd be useful as well to know up to what point your getting power. As mentioned above, power may not even be getting to the harness at all.

What kind of radio is it?? It's also possibly a bad radio to begin with.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Kuttooz

Man..don't know whats going on!

This is what really happened. The other day, I opened up my dash to install an alarm. I haven't been able to do this but when I finally finished removing all the screws and stuff, my sister called and said that she needed a ride. So, I put everything back and then turn on my radio. NOPE. it won't turn on. I didnt touch any wires. That is when this thing started to act weird. Before that...the thing was working perfectly. I am pretty sure that the wires are correct. I made it sure about 200 times now!!!

Kuttooz
Old 04-28-2006, 04:18 AM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

So it was working and now it's strangely stopped?? Check for any pinched wires from when you put your dash back together, I've seen that happen more than a few times. Just trying to put everything back together and snagged a wire w/o knowing it.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
rcurley55

step one - put the factory head back in there and see what happnes - if it powers up, then either your wiring adaptor is bad, the harness for the aftermarket player is bad, or the head it'self is bad.....

that's the easiest way imo.

The other way to test it, b/c it seems you are good with a dmm.

Start at the factory plug, test for 12v+, next plug in the adaptor for the aftermaket harness - test for 12v, attach the aftermarket harness, test for 12V. Somewhere, you are going to lose 12v.

If you don't, then the problem is in the headunit. There are generally fuses in the harness for the aftermarket head, check those as well...