Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

any aftermarket headunits that allow you to keep your steering wheel controls!!??

Old 09-20-2002, 07:31 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any aftermarket headunits that allow you to keep your steering wheel controls!!??

Just what the title says...

Why is it a fu*%*$%in pain to lose your steering wheel controls
when we wanna upgrade to a better headunit.

My recent post of going back to stock was because I wanted my controls back :fawk:

info/links/hot nudie pics of girls would be very helpful
Old 09-20-2002, 10:28 AM
ur31337
Colby

Well, you would have to have a lot of custom wiring done. I don't know of any decks that let you do that.

I have seen buttons from remotes 'transplanted' into the steering wheel, but it looked kinda :ghey: Like the wheel got herpes or something.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:56 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Harada, that harness company, has something you can use. Some others make it as well. It's an Infra-red remote to take the place of the remote with the head unit, and here's how it works:

In the dash, the harness for the IR plugs into the factory harness that goes to the steering wheel controls. Then, a single wire with an IR at the end of it is run to the back of the car in direct line of the head unit (or inside the arm rest.... anywhere you can send an uninterruped IR remote signal). It is then programed for two things: the car you have, and the head unit you are running. Now, this only works for aftermarket head units that have remote control capability. When you press the button on the steering wheel, it works like you are using the remote control for the head unit. You just have to remember not to cover the IR transponder. A good installer can hide it pretty well. They may need to cut a slight little hole in the head liner above the back seat. In a few days I can tell you who else makes this converter. You can buy one at most reliable pro audio install shops. I think they run about 40.00
Old 09-20-2002, 05:31 PM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

very interesting Fast...
very interesting indeed. any websites for more information?
I'll look into some local stereo shops and ask around.
Thanks!!
Old 09-20-2002, 07:07 PM
steveng

a good deck w/o steering control is way worth than a factory deck with it. but if you really want a steering control, look into Pioneer decks which have remote control that you can mount on the steering wheel. hope this help