Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

AMP problems I think?

Old 04-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Kachup57

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMP problems I think?

Quick questions out there. I had my sub hooked up to my amp for like the last three years no problem and then i got a pioneer premier sub. Now I notice that the amp turns on for like a minute and then switches off and then back on and then off. Also, when I have my stereo volume is turned all the way down, my sub still thumps every now and then. The guy at Best Buy told me that my sub is to powerfull for my amp and that I needed to go buy like a $500 amp. Is he correct or do I just need a new amp. My amp is about 10 years old and pushes 150 watts however, I don't know what the wattage is on my sub. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:31 PM
97teg

Is the pioneer a different impedence rating then the one you had in there? Id be willing to be that is the problem. Is a red light coming on? If so the amp is probalby shutting down to protect itself. 150 watts isnt much but it still shouldnt be shutting down. The sub being to powerful sounds like bs if thats what he actually said. Yeah you may need more powerful amp to get the max performance out of your sub but as long as its loud enough for you and your not getting distortion then it should be fine.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Sounds impedence related. Is the premier sub DVC or SVC?? How about the original????
Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Kachup57

All things I will need to check on and get back to you. My last sub I can't even remember the brand name. It was junk and my buddy just put it in my car because he bought a whole new set up. I don't think my red light comes on but I will need to get back on that one too. Thanks for the help.