Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

sound deadening with roofing material

Old 03-07-2006, 05:16 PM
96accordexcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sound deadening with roofing material

i have gone through the internet and have done thorough research on peel and seal and other roofing repair material used as sound deadening. peel and seal has the same makeup as dynamat or other big name sound deadening mats with rubberized asphalt backed by aluminum. many people warn others about the rubber asphalt melting and getting gooey or the mats falling off... many people also highly recommend peel and seal for sound deadening.

due to my slim budget, i have decided to buy some tite-seal... another brand of rubber asphalt stuff... and i was just wondering how roofing material worked out for those who used it and any other thoughts on sound deadening.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:06 PM
97teg

I would seriously wait till you have more money and get a butyl mat. Yeah it may be ok but you do not want to try to take the stuff off after you but it on. Do it right once so you dont have to do it again. Id do one layer on the outer door skin for the speaker, one layer on the inside of the door where the speaker mounts to. You can do more layers but each additional layer will have diminishing returns. Its how much you want to use there. Knock on different areas and put mat where ever it sounds hollow. I noticed the area on the back qtr pannel is also very thin and would probalby benifit from mat more then other areas. Also ensolite foam will also help with road noise and its relativly cheap.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:20 AM
Mynard
Eye warship say ten!

I know a few people that have used similar roof materials and have had problems with the materials melting as well. But keep in mind I live in Augusta GA and our summers get to 100+. If you lived in a place where the hottest it gets is like 80+ or so it would be fine. I mean even where I run my power cable in my trunk when it gets warm it made an impression in my OEM deading material. So trial and error may be your best bet.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
rcurley55

wait to use butyl based material like raamat bxt - the asphault based stuff is nothing but trouble imo
Old 03-08-2006, 07:32 PM
96accordexcoupe

umm yeah about saving up more money... i doubt i will be saving any more money because getting a sound system was just a splurge. i used the money i had saved and saved and saved from many christmas's and birthdays for my senior gift to myself. it does seem like now butyl mats are the way to go, but i cant spend any more money.

i live in atlanta so i'm seeing relatively the same temperatures as in augusta.

the only MAJOR problem with the melting of the rubber asphalt would be it getting stuck on my windows and tint and gunking up my window motor. to prevent this i was thinking about putting masking or duct tape around the edges where melted rubber asphalt might seep out... i'm not sure if that wil work at all, just an idea. by taping the edges, it will give the rubber asphalt no place to go even if it does melt. good idea? should i try it?

about the outer door panel, how exactly am i going to get to this so i can put sound deadening on it..? thanks for everyones help
Old 03-09-2006, 02:02 PM
97teg

What exactly are you trying to achieve by putting mat on? vibration? road noise? resonance?
Old 03-09-2006, 02:46 PM
96accordexcoupe

to eliminate the rattle from my door speakers and my future sub. and to get better sound from my system
Old 03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
surfib

Have you already put the speakers in your car? If so, how much rattle do you have? I have a full set up in my 97 tahoe and I don't have any dynamat anywhere. I have 2 12in punch p2 running 200 watts each and the only rattle I get is from my change door. Keep in mine that it is an american made piece of junk and I off-raod the hell out of it and that has put a lot of rattles in it. You are going to be able to tell the difference between having and not having sound deadening material but unless you are an audiophile and have a superb, high output system, I say hold off until you save more money. See how you like what you are putting in first and then go from there. I was going to spend a bunch of money on sound deadening after putting in my system but once I got it in there, it sounded fine to me. Make sure you install your speakers correctly and mount them firmly, don't skip on screws and stuff.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:32 PM
96accordexcoupe

yeah i already have my door speakers in and it doesnt sound tight... the sound seems to resonate and produce a hollow, vibration sound rahter than a thump. i can already tell in hondas that there will be a lot of annoying rattling. the panels are lightweight and just feel too flimsy. even if i did save up i doubt i wil buy such expensive sound deadening products. i think i'm gonna tape up the edges so if it melts the goo has nowhere to go.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:35 PM
97teg

What sound dampening products are you looking at and how much did you want to spend? I guess worst case is that you'll have to clean up a gooey mess in hard to reach places. If your okay with that then go for it.