Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Do I need pro installation

Old 03-05-2006, 06:14 AM
stephbern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need pro installation

I need to replace my radio/tape deck in my Accord. I'm not going to replace it with anything fancy. Of course all the items on best buy's website say pro installation is highly reccomended. I know this is prolly all a scam but i've never done this before so I don't really know. From what I can tell it's probably just a matter of taking the old one out and connecting a few cords in the back right?
Old 03-05-2006, 07:01 AM
stephbern

BTW- this is what i want to get

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-3PCk3n6...=300&I=023INDY
Old 03-05-2006, 08:25 AM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

crutchfield is the best place for a beginner to buy from. They give you very specific instalation instructions for your vehicle, if you buy a slightly higher priced unit you'll get a free dash kit and wiring harness to put everything in properly. To me it would be worth stepping up to a higher priced unit as a dash kit and harness can cost at least $30. Only other things you'll really need are some crimp connectors to put the deck and car harness together, a crimping tool and any other hand tools to get the car apart.

What car is this going into?
Ever think of going with another OEM unit?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:40 AM
b00gers

The hardest part is removing the stock one. If you arent familiar with taking your dash apart, you might want to do some research on it before you attempt it. Taking out the stereo is usually a few screws.

If you arent familiar with splicing wires, adding the new harness might be time consuming also. But it is not difficult to do at all. Research, research, research. Then patience. h:
Old 03-05-2006, 11:07 AM
stephbern

I'm putting it in a 95 accord. My radio is totally busted and I only plan to have the car another year so that's why I just want something to get my by.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:01 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

Those are sooo easy. I cant really explain the shortcut that I learned or if it even is a shortcut, but it makes removing that backstrap much easier. Ill try. Undo the shift lock(if you have and auto) and pull that out of the way. Pull your ashtray out. Grasp the radio/pocket assembly and pull it out about a half inch. There will be two screws on thes sides of the pocket, remove them and pull the pocket out. Now with a long phillips screw driver or drill extension(my weapon of choice) you can access the two backstrap retaining screws. Now the radio just pulls out. Hope that helps. I could have sworn I heard people complaining about the backstrap in that gen accord.

Last edited by totalimmortal; 03-05-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 PM
stephbern

I can get the system out just fine. I just have no experience with car audio systems and crutchfield said my old factory radio support wont work for this so i'll have to buy their installation kit and the wires will need splicing, ect. I don't know if any of that is BS or what.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

the OEM radio support can be used, you just have to make a bracket to work with the aftermarket radio.

I say find a 96-97 Accord OEM CD player and just put that in there, it will fit directly in, no dash kits, no wiring... just swap the bracket if needed, plug it in, screw it in and re-install the dash pieces.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:42 PM
SumAccordGuy94
Older Honda Fanatic

this is from an integra, but its the same thing as the accord one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...42962085QQrdZ1