Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting-30/)
-   -   ssss sound from tweeters (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/audio-security-and-automotive-lighting/22648-ssss-sound-from-tweeters.html)

steveng 09-17-2002 03:29 PM

ssss sound from tweeters

my infinity tweeters are making this sssss noise when i play loud. does this mean they are cheap quality or there's something else that caused this? anyone?

Bass Mechanic 09-17-2002 03:46 PM

Re: ssss sound from tweeters

Originally posted by steveng
my infinity tweeters are making this sssss noise when i play loud. does this mean they are cheap quality or there's something else that caused this? anyone?
it's pretty typical to get a little hiss from tweeters. try turning down the highest band of the eq or the treble a little and also check your gains on the amps.
also some tweeters like quarts are a little bright for tweeters. i don't know about yours, but you might consider attenuating the tweeters if there is an adjustment on the crossovers for it. try setting them down about -3 or -6 db if your crossovers have that adjustment.
my guess is they are probably a little bright anyway based on what you said.

steveng 09-17-2002 04:24 PM

sometimes the hiss sound is very noticable that i forgot i was listening a CD :(
the crossover is supposed to be adjustable which is not clearly explained on the infinity manual. but for gain control, should i set it higher or lower?

Bass Mechanic 09-17-2002 04:50 PM

sometimes the hiss sound is very noticable that i forgot i was listening a CD :(
the crossover is supposed to be adjustable which is not clearly explained on the infinity manual. but for gain control, should i set it higher or lower?

if the crossover is adjustable there is either a switch. knob with 2-3 settings, or a jumper on the board with 2-3 positions. usually the positions are labled 0, -3, -6 i am assuming your using the 0 db setting. try going to the -3 or -6 personally i have found that if there is a - 6 setting the tweets are usually way too loud on the 0 setting.

steveng 09-17-2002 05:00 PM

Originally posted by Bass Mechanic

if the crossover is adjustable there is either a switch. knob with 2-3 settings, or a jumper on the board with 2-3 positions. usually the positions are labled 0, -3, -6 i am assuming your using the 0 db setting. try going to the -3 or -6 personally i have found that if there is a - 6 setting the tweets are usually way too loud on the 0 setting.

on inifinity manual, they called it contour control and mentioned something about moving jumper from left pin to right pin:confused: inside the xover box, but when i opened it up, everything was sealed. and there was no lable of db's. but anyway, what is jumper?

Bass Mechanic 09-17-2002 05:10 PM

on inifinity manual, they called it contour control and mentioned something about moving jumper from left pin to right pin:confused: inside the xover box, but when i opened it up, everything was sealed. and there was no lable of db's. but anyway, what is jumper?

it looks like a row of small brass pins there is a black plastic "jumper" that connects 2 pins together. you can pull it off and reinstall it connecting 2 different pins. it is like a really rudimentry form of a switch.
the jumper can be as small as a pencil eraser or smaller. if there is one you will need tweezers or a small pliers to remove it.

Bass Mechanic 09-17-2002 05:11 PM

maybe you can take a pic of it or give me a model number and ill look it up online

SumAccordGuy94 09-17-2002 05:50 PM

just turn down the treble a "notch" or 2... it'll clear right up and save the hassle of fukin with the crossovers...

rcurley55 09-17-2002 05:58 PM

where are the tweeters mounted? How are they wired? What are you using to power it?

steveng 09-17-2002 06:52 PM

Originally posted by SumAccordGuy94
just turn down the treble a "notch" or 2... it'll clear right up and save the hassle of fukin with the crossovers...
it's not a matter with the treble control. in fact i've already turned it down to -5 and have still the same problem.