Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

putting in more subs...........

Old 01-15-2006, 11:59 AM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default putting in more subs...........

i was thinking about putting in two 8" free air subs in the rear door panels, with some 6.5" speaker. how do you think it would look, I'm planning on fittning factory style grills over them, or custom ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
01.JPG (115.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-15-2006, 12:19 PM
b00gers

Are you mounting them on the sheet metal? You might have problems with clearance issues. If you are making a baffle, then itll take some real work and time for it to be sturdy enough for a couple subs. I would say no to the whole project. Throw the subs in the trunk...where they belong h:
Old 01-15-2006, 01:01 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

Originally Posted by b00gers
Are you mounting them on the sheet metal? You might have problems with clearance issues. If you are making a baffle, then itll take some real work and time for it to be sturdy enough for a couple subs. I would say no to the whole project. Throw the subs in the trunk...where they belong h:
no, 1 8" sub and 1 6.5" speaker one each door. i will make a frame they will go in them they will be mounted in the door. one 8" and the 6.5" don't weigh more that a few lbs
Old 01-15-2006, 03:31 PM
97teg

Well as I see a few problems with this kind of build.
1. With the door opening and closing all the time your really going to have to reinforce the whole pannel becuase of the wieght. Think a 5 lb weight on the door suddenly stopping when the door stops.
2. Resonances. With all of the pressure that the sub is going to producing its going to be hard to keep everything from vibrating and sounding like crap.
3. You have the mid and sub in the same airspace. This means that the sub output is going to effecting the mid driver probably making it sound not very good.
4. As already mentioned clearance issues.

This does not seem like a project to be taken lightly. Its going to take a lot of time and skill to pull it off correctly. Not saying it cant be done but being done and done well are two seperate things. Imo youd be better off putting the sub "freeair" or infinate baffel on the back shelf like how a lot of cars have 6x9's, and sealing the trunk off.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

well, i have sheet metal and can weld so i might put a barrier between the sub and the other speaker to avoid problems. i made my own "dynamat" type stuff that seems to work good, so I will use this to knock down some interference
Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 PM
97teg

Your going to be able to do all that and still roll the window? As long as you know what your getting yourslef into. Personally id skip the 6.5s. I dont see a need for them, esp in that part of the door.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:42 AM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

i might not put in the 6.5s
Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 AM
2legit2quit
You Big Dummy

I don't think it would be that big of a deal mounting them. The problem I see is the pocket on the door.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 PM
burnrubber
Nucking Futs

it will prob go inside the pocket
Old 01-16-2006, 03:32 PM
b00gers

If it is going inside the pocket, are you going to mount it on the plastic door panel? If so, youre gonna have a hell of a time deadening and reinforcing it. Otherwise, it looks like you are going to build yourself a new door panel. Which has been done before...

but again...I wouldnt do it h: